Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

Im sorry I havent been a regular visitor here for some time, life has gotten in the way & I havent worked on the Gal for some time.

But now is time to roll up my sleeves & get stuck into it. Ive come across some rather interesting electrical issues that have arisen since getting it painted.

Firstly, the Alternator light on the dash stays lit whilst the car is running. I ran a multimeter over to check charge & got back 13.8V on full drain (highbeams, radio, HVAC. 14.4 without full accs on) so its running healthy. Also, when the parkers are on, the indicator lights on dash light up as well. Which is puzzling.

And secondly, theres an electrical lead in the engine bay thats not connected & i cant work out where it goes. Heres a pic:

Ive circled in red where it exits the firewall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
It looks like an extension for the radio antenna cable. I don't know why it would be exiting thru there, as mine runs all thru the backside of the dash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like an extension for the radio antenna cable. I don't know why it would be exiting thru there, as mine runs all thru the backside of the dash.

The antenna wire coming off the mast would definitely be long enough to reach the radio, so having an extension seems unecessary, but with these older cars I wouldnt have a clue so ill give it a look :)

This wire also has a rubber grommet for the hole its coming out of, so I would assume its meant to. Either way, ill report back my findings from behind the dash.

@FEandGoingBroke: Where would I find the voltage return wire for alt to dash? Sorry, im really a newbie when it comes to auto electrics.

Many many thanks for your input guys :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
The antenna wire coming off the mast would definitely be long enough to reach the radio, so having an extension seems unecessary, but with these older cars I wouldnt have a clue so ill give it a look :)

This wire also has a rubber grommet for the hole its coming out of, so I would assume its meant to. Either way, ill report back my findings from behind the dash.

@FEandGoingBroke: Where would I find the voltage return wire for alt to dash? Sorry, im really a newbie when it comes to auto electrics.

Many many thanks for your input guys :)
I just chucked one of these short extensions from my parts car. It comes out of the back of the radio as a 90, then plugs into the main cable to the antenna..I don't know why either lol

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I might have your alt. light figured out. I looked in the wiring diagrams at the charging circuit. Under the dash right around the steering column, look for a rectangular plug...it has 8 wires both in and out. It should be light gray or white in color. These are notorious formelting. Look at the yellow wire...thats the one I believe might be causing problems. If the plug looks melted or scorched, cut the plug out and wire direct, or with a differtent plug that will work. This plug is for the ignition switch, and thru all the gooblety-**** wiring, the alt light is tied in along the way.
Hope this helps. :)
P.S. If nothing appears amiss with the plug, check the green/red stripe wire that comes from the fuse box plug under the brake booster. If the engine bay side looks good, remove the screw holding the fuse box and check the wiring/connections on the backside. I had some park lights not working, and one of the wires was chewed in half.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many many thanks bcuz :D

Ill investigate asap & post back. On the topic of fuses, Ive misplaced my fuse panel diagram. I also dont know the amps of each fuse, as the ones in there are blank with no writing anywhere on the panel either.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Isnt the antenna on the passenger side?
Why would it exit the firewall on the driver side?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Isnt the antenna on the passenger side?
Why would it exit the firewall on the driver side?
Yes it is, but the radio is on the left side of the dash. Thats what we were trying to figure out as well. Lol The only place the cable exits the interior, is when it passes thru the cabin to the fender on the passenger side. However, this car is in Australia, so someone in the past may have been doing something different.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi Bruce, although this car is in Australia, I believe Scotty is the first new owner after it was imported, and it has never been licensed yet. If something was altered, it would have been done back in the US.
I have checked my rhd '70 Galaxie, and mine doesn't have any cable coming from that side. I also checked my spare rhd Aussie LTD dash, and there is also nothing obviously visible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, from what I can see it is for the radio. The cable connects to another cable behind the dash. Which looks very, erm "radio like".

But I tried plugging the mast cable into this extension cable, and the centre pin fits perfectly. However, theres no shroud to make the side contacts on the mast plug connect with this cable.

As for other wires under the dash, I only had a quick look at the wiring & found no visible signs of malfunction, they all were quite clean.

But Ill have a more thorough look tomorrow. I dont know if its normal, but I discovered 2 wires with male pin ends just hanging there not connected. They were a part of a loom & there was no female ends to suit around them. So another puzzle.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Were the 69 full size Fords the ones with the antenna on the left fender and then switched to the right fender for 70? End of wire looks like the part that you insert into antenna base. Just curious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts