Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
Money made keeps the forum running beyond just paying bills. We all have bills to pay not just the forum's most basic operating costs. If you all have such a problem with this forum ever having made money or any forum making money why join? why contribute?

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Yes Tom, the purpose of the site IS to make money for the most part, so that it stay's profitable and a cool place to hang out, and we all gotta make a living somehow.
But if I didn't make money doing my job I'd quit.
So that's simply exactly what ANYONE would do.
But, controlling the parameters of ANOTHERS work simply because they use your site to place the info down is kind of cheating really. The site as an entity has more power to make money off others intellect, than the people posting simply because FM has more power to get places.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rusty,

Look, it is quite simple - if you really think you have some ingenious bit of IP, and that everyone is out to steal it, you ought not to post it on an internet forum in the public domain.

The terms of use are as standard and as fair as they get. No one is claiming an exclusive right, you can post wherever you want, on however many forums you want. On all those forums you will encounter the same rules - forum operators can edit, delete, and display your post however they want. By posting you have granted them that right. You will find most, if not all, Forums will do this in a reasonable manner for administrative reasons.

Believe me Rusty, no one is taking your post and making millions off it. You are more than welcome to however if you see that potential there.

Cheers
Chirag
Chirag,
with all due respect, while that may have been your policy with the forums, but Verticlescope owns it now, and they made that policy/TOS, not you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chirag, I don't think that's exactly what he's attempting to say here. BUT, I DO believe that if some such thread were started here on FM (99% sure it's not going to be one of mine ;)), that by the wording of the rules as they currently are, {By displaying or posting content on the Site, you hereby grant us a nonexclusive global license to publish the content submitted by you to the Site.} Means that FM and verticlescope have the right to make those millions, rather than the inventor of the thread. Simply by the wording in the user rules.

That's the way I read it.
FE, for clarification, the part you hilited is not in the current FM Terms of Service (TOS), it is something I pulled from another site. FM & Verticlescop'e TOS DOES NOT include that statement.

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
What are you so paranoid about Rusty? You joined in 2006 and since then have made 24 posts to the forum. At least 5 of them have been to complain about the acquisition. I dont see what you have contributed to the forum yet that is intellectual property of such a potential value. If anything it appears you have spent years lurking the site and collecting data other people have been posting on here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Money made keeps the forum running beyond just paying bills. We all have bills to pay not just the forum's most basic operating costs. If you all have such a problem with this forum ever having made money or any forum making money why join? why contribute?
MOST of us were around before you, and had no knowledge of the sale. Now you are saying OUR works are now yours?? While I have not posted anything near a "holy grail" I definately would not now knowing the current TOS is the way it is.
On making money... Servers cost big $$, I know! so income is needed, I/We understand this. but the content should belong to the user, and that should be spelled out to the letter in the TOS, and it is not. refer to the second TOS I posted. (not from fordmuscleforums)
Intellectual Property
You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the content posted by you on or through the Site or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth below, and ...
compare that to the current fordmuscleforums TOS
Preservation of Intellectual Property Rights
All material on this site, including, but not limited to images, illustrations and multimedia materials, is protected by copyrights which are owned and controlled by FORDMUSCLEFORUMS.COM or by other parties that have licensed their material to FORDMUSCLEFORUMS.COM.
Who are the "other parties"??

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Phil, Chirag or Jon--Does the new Intellectual Property Statement include the realm of the Tech Exchange? Who actually owns and controls the individual articles used in the tech exchange? The original contributor, FM magazine, or fordmuscleforums? Please be specific.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Rusty -

Get a grip dude.

This is just a forum about cars - it was made possible by, *brace yourself* a for-profit organization, then and now. Our recommendation is you enjoy yourself, interact with your peers, ask and answer some tech questions, and heck every now and then click an ad. That is how the forums business works. If you still think there is something more sinister going on, I'll just this once refrain from twisting your arm and let you go elsewhere. ;)

btw,
"Other parties" refers to, for instance, companies like Ford, whose material may be published on this site however they still maintain their copyrights.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most forums own everything you post including pictures to a gallery.
Thats why I wont post pictures of my car, if I do then its my fault.
I joined this site for information how to, so far its been great, sometimes slow but livable.

I see no reason to bellyache about who owns it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rusty -

Get a grip dude.

This is just a forum about cars - it was made possible by, *brace yourself* a for-profit organization, then and now. Our recommendation is you enjoy yourself, interact with your peers, ask and answer some tech questions, and heck every now and then click an ad. That is how the forums business works. If you still think there is something more sinister going on, I'll just this once refrain from holding the gun to your head and let you go elsewhere. ;)

btw,
"Other parties" refers to, for instance, companies like Ford, whose material may be published on this site however they still maintain their copyrights.
So, on paper, where does that leave the forum poster? Or tech poster?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crickets?
Dennis,
I hope when they get around to answering your question, Verticlescope will answer mine.

Just a refresher

Rusty -

Get a grip dude....

btw,

So, on paper, where does that leave the forum poster? Or tech poster?
The silence speaks volumes :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most forums own everything you post including pictures to a gallery.
Thats why I wont post pictures of my car, if I do then its my fault.
I joined this site for information how to, so far its been great, sometimes slow but livable.

I see no reason to bellyache about who owns it now.
AMRadio,
Read up a little on Copyright, it's eye opening

About forums owning everything: Not all. MOST of the smaller privately owned do not, and a lot of them explicitly state that you, the poster, own your work.

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
Hi Rusty, my name is Stew and I work with Phil. Im not too sure what you are so paranoid about.

I would like to ask you one question, what are you fears about who owns the posted material on the site? Do you think there is some conspiracy to take your thoughts and redistribute them to the world?

I dont mean to poke fun but come on...

In the simplest way possible to explain this, everything you post on this site, will stay on this site. You Own your posted material but you are giving us a license to publish it on the site and this site only.

Stew

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Good answer Stew. Thanks.

Now one little suggestion from me. Not that I'm important, but I talk a LOT and need to say this.

You NEW Admin guy's MUST NEEDS put your names or an Identifier into your ADMINISTRATOR moniker so that we may tell you apart. As it is now I'm put out to read your posts comfortably without knowing whom I am reading before reading it.

Is my request within reason?

By the way, I have no intellect, so anything I may type on purpose or accidentally may be reproduced by anyone anywhere anytime without my consent for any purpose whatsoever.....

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
Its not a bad request... We can get Phil a new Name... lol

Now one little suggestion from me. Not that I'm important, but I talk a LOT and need to say this.

You NEW Admin guy's MUST NEEDS put your names or an Identifier into your ADMINISTRATOR moniker so that we may tell you apart. As it is now I'm put out to read your posts comfortably without knowing whom I am reading before reading it.

Is my request within reason?
By the way, I have to intellect, so anything I may type on purpose or accidentally may be reproduced by anyone anywhere anytime without my consent for any purpose whatsoever.....
Ah... who what when were how and Why?

Stew

81 - 100 of 134 Posts