Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beat to death, but I'm trying to strip and polish all of my aluminum trim from my 63 while it's in the paint shop. I have tried the oven cleaner method that everyone talks about and it does absolutely nothing. But I keep seeing where people say it "worked great". I have sprayed it on until it dried and wiped it off. It didn't even begin to do anything. Looks no different at all. I checked to make sure that the oven cleaner had sodium hydroxide and it does. It's the walmart brand (maybe thats the problem). What am I doing wrong?

I have sanded a few pieces with 100 grit sandpaper and then hand polished it and it looks like chrome, but this method takes forever. Looking for a faster method because I have A LOT more to do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have been working on mine trim on the 67 and using the HEAVY DUTY brand name over cleaner. My trim had clay stains and it took off all kinds of stuff. I used 0000 steel wool to help scrub and clean then polish. I know that some years used one kind of trim and other was different.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I don't know about the '63s, but most Fords had a mix of anodized aluminum and stainless. You tried it on the aluminum stuff, right? Assuming so, the oven cleaner, or drain cleaner, or alkaline cleaners (like Greased Lightning) or any other alkaline/base (not acid) will only soften the anodizing - not remove it. It can remove dyes like blue anodizing from fittings, but the actual hardened anodized surface must be scrubbed off mechanically after softening. Scotchbrite, sandpaper, buffing compounds, etc. Hit it with cleaner again, rinse, and begin scrubbing.

BTW - I split garbage bags or use plastic painter's tarps to lay and spray the trim, then fold the plastic over it so the cleaner doesn't dry on the part while it sits. It doesn't take much spray to wet it. When you're done, the two most successful ways to protect it (from asking folks that have done it well) are simple natural car wax applied every few months, or top-coating with POR-15 Glisten PC. That stuff requires a prep solvent for polished parts, but glows beautifully, gets rock hard after a few days, and stays shiny. I even did aluminum heads with it some years ago and they still look new.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just finished up with what you are going thru. On my 65 the only trim peace that need anodizing removed was the grill and interior peace. I use drian cleaner and the came back with 4000 sand paper, then to the polish wheel. I purchased a two speed buffer kit from East wood. The only buffing wheel I did not use was the Sisal it is too coures. The investment for the buffer is well worth it. All the exterior trim was stainless and with the buffer I got all my trim looking like new. I had 48 peace of trim to polish. I allso blacking all my bolts using Magnesium Phospate. If you go to my web site rcchesnutt.smugmug.com and click on r galaxie you will see my polishing pictures. To get it right, it will take time, but at the end you will have trim that looks like new.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have found that for me the "Oven off" brand oven cleaner works the best. The original Oven off not the newer low odor type stuff.

I have also used the Eastwoods remover with good results. What I do for the side trim is to get a length of 3 or 4" pvc with a cap on one end then fill it up with a mixture of eastwoods remover and water mixture then slide 3 or 4 trim parts into it at a time.

Works for me and really speeds up the process.

Scott...

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I know this subject has been beat to death, but I'm trying to strip and polish all of my aluminum trim from my 63 while it's in the paint shop. I have tried the oven cleaner method that everyone talks about and it does absolutely nothing. But I keep seeing where people say it "worked great". I have sprayed it on until it dried and wiped it off. It didn't even begin to do anything. Looks no different at all. I checked to make sure that the oven cleaner had sodium hydroxide and it does. It's the walmart brand (maybe thats the problem). What am I doing wrong?

I have sanded a few pieces with 100 grit sandpaper and then hand polished it and it looks like chrome, but this method takes forever. Looking for a faster method because I have A LOT more to do.

It probably is 'built to walmart specs' and is missing a few ingredients :frown:.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: I ended up buying Easy Off Heavy Duty from Lowes and had success. On some pieces I had to apply 2-3 coats, but after spraying with Easy Off the anodizing came off super easy with coarse steel wool. I was able to get all of my trim stripped and hand polished today. Looks like brand new, if not better. The point of my story: Walmart oven cleaner doesn't work on anodizing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts