Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally at the building stages of my new 347 stroker but I've hit a road block. Here are my questions:
1. What is the best intake for my application?
2. What is the best solid mechanical cam for my application?
3. What parts should I start with within the carb (jets, vlaves...)?

My application:
68 Fairlane Convertible 3250lbs
Pistons: Hyper KB 2 valve relief
Heads: Cast iron with 2.02/1.6 - Ported
Balancer: Fluid
Headers: Headman 1 3/4 - 3"
Carb: Holley 750 single pumper
Mufflers: Flowmaster - Drag style
Stall: 2800 - 3400 (because of my torque, I believe I should see around 3200-3400)
New Steel crank and rods that are rated to 600HP
My compression is calculated to be around 10.3:1

Trans: C4 that is newly built
Rear: 4.11 - 9"

I plan to run nitrous and currently have the Sniper set at 150HP but I'm thinking of starting with 75HP since I'm new at the Nitrous game. I've read several posts of people actually going up to 250HP with the hyper pistons but to only do this if you know how to properly mix the NO2 and gas.

There are two intake manifolds that I'm looking at.
Victor Jr. and the Hurricane.
The only thing that steers me to the Victor is the power range. The Hurricane seems to be a little high with the RPM range.

There are currently two cams that I'm looking at:
Crower #16345
Center lobe 105
Adv Dur 288299
[email protected] 252258
Lift 562579
RPM range: 3500-7000+

Comp Cams
Center Lobe 110
Adv Dur 294294
[email protected] 248248
Lift 560560
RPM range: 2500-6500

My goal:
Since the car is only driven to local shows, it may only see 1,000-3,000 miles a year (depending on my summer schedule). I plan to race my buddies 2003 Vette. I don't really think I have a chance in beating him, I just want to come close. The latest SMACK that he's talking is that he's going to be nice and give me 5 car lengths when we hook up at the local drag strip in 5 weeks. So as stated, I have 5 weeks to decide what I'm going with, complete the engine and properly break it in to be ready to hit it with the maximum NO2 in an attempt to beat this Chevy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
First the cylinder head is the major roadblock, what casting are they? Everything is needing to revolve around that head. With that ow of mileage driven I would definately be running a solid roller cam. Are those hydraulic cams you have listed? If so I would dump those quickly for atleast a solid flat. The vi jr comes alive nicely after 5k rpm and now back to those heads, there gonna run out of steam early. That hyper will not hang very long on a 250shot. 150 would be my max with that hyper piston.

Make sure you have set the all important ring gap on the top ring. Dont set it like a normal forged piston or you will pop the head off the hypers. The valvetrain is so critical and you really need to evavluate the cylinder head closely and find out where it dies. Regardless if its max ported, ford made a few iron heads I could count on my first 3 fingers.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree about the heads. I have full intensions in replacing them next year when I have the money. It was hard enough to put this together what I currently have. I may even go as far as installing a roller cam next year.
The cam that I plan to install is a solid mechanical cam.
The casting on the heads are “C90E” 302/69

One thing I left out were the plama file fit rings that I purchased. Which leads into another question: What do you recommend for the gap?

I just spoke to a sales rep that I met on eBay that quoted me $159 for the polished Hurricane and $200 for the Comp Cam kit.
When it comes to race day, depending on what I hear, I may push the Nitrous as high as 200HP but this will require me to purchase a new plate and solenoids.

·
Registered
991 Posts
As for ring gap, go straight to kb's site and get the recommended gaps. Dont listen to anyone but KB. As for the 200 shot, I certainly wouldnt, miss it one time, rattle it and forget it, you will crack the skirts on hypers. Remember the hyper is very hard piston, which makes it brittle.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I second the KB piston, if the short block isn't already together I would swap pistons, they are somewhat known for having a week skirt and rist pin area, more than a few folks have pulled the bottom out of them. Be careful with spraying these pistons.

·
Registered
991 Posts
skirts are definately an issue. Seen many crack

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
A '68 Fairlane is a pretty big car but has room under the hood for more than a 302 based stroker. If you haven't bought the 347 parts yet I'd put in a 351W and stroke that.

Reactions: wireflight

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What flat top, 2 valve relief piston would you recommend for my 347 and does anyone have a location that I could purchase them from other then summit or ebay for a good price?

What about the intake manifold, does anyone have any experiance with the hurricane? When I called a local speed shop, I was told that it was Japanese version of the victor jr.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I considered stroking a 351W but unfortunately, I already bored the 302 and line board the mains and then after dumping the money into the heads, I figured the 347 was my best choice.

If I had to do it all over again, knowing that it would take me 2 1/2 years to save the money, I would have gone with the 351W. But now I'm really in the hole and obligated to this 347.
Up until today, I was only needing the cam and intake manifold.
I think I'm just about convinced in spending the extra money to sell my hyper pistons and loose a few $$$ to buy something more dependable.
I know when it comes to that race, I really need every advantage I can get and if I can spray 250HP or more, I'm going to do it.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
JE pistons and a Hellfire ring is what I use. I bought mine through my machine shop. Ross also makes a great piston for nitrous. The key is the alloy of which the piston is forged and the distance from the top of the piston to the top ring land. I really did not want to spend the money on the pistons I bought but my engine builder basically said he would not put it together unless I had one of those two pistons... Longevity of the motor is worth the extra bucks especially when spraying it. As for intake, I would buy the victor jr if you are running a solid cam and an airgap with the hydraulic. I would go with a 110 Center line for N2O.

BTW... a strong 347 and a shot of N2O should eat just about any vette on the street...

·
Registered
669 Posts
With 10.3 comp..............the comp cams 294s , but you will be disapointed as the heads will let you down badly.

As for intake rpm or rpm air gap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: giddyup1 on 8/25/06 6:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
call jay at www.camshaftinnovations.com Hands down the cam man, as for heads there are about 4000 different ones to choose from. TFS,AFR, Vic's,canfields,dart and the list goes on and on and on. Call jay for a cam and canfields, he will set you up solid as far as the top end valvetrain is concerned

·
Registered
240 Posts
On 2006-08-24 17:03, woody1 wrote:
call jay at http://www.camshaftinnovations.com Hands down the cam man, as for heads there are about 4000 different ones to choose from. TFS,AFR, Vic's,canfields,dart and the list goes on and on and on. Call jay for a cam and canfields, he will set you up solid as far as the top end valvetrain is concerned
And if you go this route that Vette will be dogmeat without the spray!!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As Woody1 advised me, I contacted Jay and found him extremely rude and told him this. My last email informed Jay that I would not be doing business with him.

As an update though, I have come to the realization that I really need to do this right. My original thoughts were to build it to my affordability and then purchase the heads next year.
As of today, I plan to sell all my additional items on Ebay which I started last week and pinch my penny's and I may be able to actually purchase a nice set of aluminum heads before the end of the season.

If anyone has a GOOD set of aluminum heads and/or a set of forged pistons for a 347 stroker, please send me an email: [email protected]

Otherwise, anyone with experience in aluminum heads, please let me know what I should be looking for.
I want to be able to run this car on premium gas until race day and then use 104 octane and I want the car to go FAST!!!
So my guess is that I'll be looking for something like: 65cc combustion chambers, around 210cc intake, and an intake valve around 2.08 all to support my .560 lift cam.
Also, I read a few threads about putting a set of 351C heads on a 302/351W block. Is this even possible

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-08-27 22:22, rj45lanman wrote:
As Woody1 advised me, I contacted Jay and found him extremely rude and told him this. My last email informed Jay that I would not be doing business with him.

As an update though, I have come to the realization that I really need to do this right. My original thoughts were to build it to my affordability and then purchase the heads next year.
As of today, I plan to sell all my additional items on Ebay which I started last week and pinch my penny's and I may be able to actually purchase a nice set of aluminum heads before the end of the season.

If anyone has a GOOD set of aluminum heads and/or a set of forged pistons for a 347 stroker, please send me an email: [email protected]

Otherwise, anyone with experience in aluminum heads, please let me know what I should be looking for.
I want to be able to run this car on premium gas until race day and then use 104 octane and I want the car to go FAST!!!
So my guess is that I'll be looking for something like: 65cc combustion chambers, around 210cc intake, and an intake valve around 2.08 all to support my .560 lift cam.
Also, I read a few threads about putting a set of 351C heads on a 302/351W block. Is this even possible
Jay is far from rude, the guy goes to great lengths with any customer. I cant say enough about him and Im sure the other few dozen people I sent his way also. As for heads, TFS,AFR,jays canfields are all excellent options. Cleveland heads on a windsor block has been done for a long time since they share the same bore spacing but for you, I would leave it alone. Heads need some modifications, no big deal. The issue is intake choices which unless using intake plates is slim to none. Just leave that idea alone

1 - 20 of 25 Posts