Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size U-bolts do I need for a 65 mustang for the 9 in.It does not have the taper.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The reason I dont know the size I need is cause the shock plates are in cali.I am going to pick my car up there next week.I got to take a housing to cali with me.Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The 9" rear ends in the 65/66 mustangs were a little unique, they stepped down in diameter at the wheel end, if you dont have a 9" from a 65/66 you will need to get the shock plates and use the u-bolts from that application, unfortunately all other mustang housings were 54" in length I believe. There are a few other housings from other early fords that have the same length but I dont know if they use the same shock plates and u-bolts. Did you find that page I e-mailed to you, it lists the other fords with 52" wide housings

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 9 inch.I got is 52 inches.It suppose to be from a 65 mustang.It does not have the unique taper on the housing.Will 8 inch. U-bolts work?What size U-bolts do I need?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 8" and tapered 9" use a 2 3/4" U bolt.
The non tapered 9" uses a 3" U bolt.

You will need the ' U boilts and you will also need matching shock plates. Or you can modify you existing plates. You can drill out/slot the existing holes in your old shock plates.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I will need the 3 inch U-bolts am I correct?I called the part store they didn't know what I was talking about what do i tell them how long and so forth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to a guy on the phone he told me the U-botls for the 9 in. without the taper should be the same as the 8 inch.Does anybody know?I need to know by tommorrow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Every 8" rear that I have ever seen had 2 3/4" axle tubes. A normal 9" rear has 3" tubes. The 9" with the tapered tubes used the same U-bolts as the 8". That was so the assembly line could use the same shock plates, housing ends etc. The standard Mustangs came down the line getting the 8". The higher performance version got the 9". They tapered the tubes so it would be cheaper to use existing Mustang parts.

I just went out and my shop and measured a set of U bolts. They measure 2 3/4" across the inside and are 6" long from the bottom of the U to the ends. These bolts were original to my 69 Mustang that had an 8" rear. I later changed to a 9" with the tapered tubes. Used the same bolts. It was a bolt in. I have since back-halfed the car. I narrowed the rear, but rather than cut a 9" that was sized right I sold it and got a truck rear to narrow. It has 3" tubes and would require the larger U bolts if it was used with leaf springs.

I normally like "old time" parts stores, but this is one case were the chains might have an advanatage. I know Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc all carry the new U bolts.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 3/14/02 8:32am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts