Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, another what do i need thread. I'm about to build my first C4. My car is a ZC Fairlane, 347 windsor and is putting out about 450hp. I recently ran at the drags and managed a 12.8 but managed to badly wound my C4. So i'm gonna build a new one.

The original c4 in the car is a 24 spline case fill. I've also got a 26 spline pan fill, which i'll use to rebuild. I've pulled down the pan fill box and found it was rebuilt recently as the clutches have the date stamped on them of 1999.

Anyway the #9 thrust washer is completely eaten away. The mod hasn't been done, should i replace it with a needle roller or just do the mod?

Will 5 clutches be enough in the high/reverse? and which kits have 5 red clutches? i'm currently looking at gettting either a TCI or Hughes rebuild kit.

Also i have a H and a R servo. Which would be the better choice?

The 26 spline input shaft has some rust on it as the box was left outside. It's right where the front bush runs. Should i fit an aftermarket input shaft instead as i think this shaft is ruined.

I'm also going to be fitting a full maual reverse pattern valve body, deep pan and a 4000 rpm stall and big cooler. Is there anything else i might need?

This car is going to be 50/50 drag/street driving.

Thanks for your help

Matt

·
Registered
945 Posts
If the input shaft is had it, put an aftermarket in there for sure. The ZC is fairly heavy and if your dragging, especially with slicks, the stock shaft won't like it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I don't know of any kits that come with 5 clutches. I buy gasket kits with no clutches and then buy them separately.
I have bought from TCI before and they are over priced. They also don't use Alto red clutches in their kits. They use Borg Warner clutches.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2006-01-16 03:40, Mario428 wrote:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=48130&forum=13

Even the most minimal search would have found it.
I did read that thread but i'm putting out slightly more power and thought i may require something extra. I've also read the monster thread, and it's was very helpful. I've noticed there isn't much said about bands. People say they use kevlar or standard and sometimes rigid. I've seen bands wider than standard and even welded instead of rivetted for the flex bands. Would a good quality standard band be ok? and when would the other types be required?

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Which band you choose seems to be by personal preference. I have used both kevlar and red bands and have had good luck with both. The kevlar may take the heat just a bit better, but it is said that the red band has more "grab". The important items seem to be the servo and valve body timing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts