Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parts car for "project sleeper" (77 Ford Granada, 351W, C4) has the tranny that has the dipstick in the pan. People here have mentioned that C4's with the dipstick in the pan is better and/or stronger than regular C4's with the dipstick in the case. What makes it better or stronger than the case mounted dipstick C4's?

A previous granada I owned 11 years ago (78, 302, C4) had a case mounted dipstick tranny that I went over after I had the 302 rebuilt with some goodies. That tranny worked pretty good with that engine. It had no problems laying a patch with each upshift and worked quite well even though I never got around to doing the rear end (still had the lame 2.42 open diff.)

So what difference if any is there between a pan mounted dipstick C4 and a case mounted one? (both being V8 trannies let's say)

Another question, I would like to install a deep tranny pan when I rebuilt the C4 for "project sleeper". Most deep tranny pans I see don't provide a place to mount the dipstick if you are using a pan mounted C4. They assume that the C4 would be a case mounted dipstick one. So who makes a deep pan for a C4 that provides for the dipstick mounting in the pan? TIA.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Pan fill C-4s have a stronger case monting of the bellhousing, have the best factory internals, might possibly have a factory hardened input shaft(I have found 2), have either "H" or "R" servos(if original unrebuilt), & they all have the 4/5 clutch packs(unlike some case filled C-4s but some rebuilders will stick the 3/4 packs in thinking it doesn't matter).

Good luck finding one, I've been looking and can't find one and I need the tube and a deep pan for my big block but for some reason pan fill C-4s are not used much so therefore not enough demand. If you find any deep pan fill pans or new pan fill dip stick tubes, please let me know. I need them bad!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Kent, once I get the tranny and engine out of my parts car I'll check it to see if my pan mounted C4 has the stuff you mentioned.

I'm picking up my rebuilt kit and shift kit later this week from the place where I've bought rebuilt kits for my previous C4's I went over on my previous Granadas. I'll check with him about the deep pan issue with the pan mounted dipstick. He would know what's out there and whether the stuff you're looking for is available somewhere. I'll let you know what I find out. thanks again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
89coupe,
I got the last 2 pan fill dip sticks from Coan racing transmissions they sell new NHRA required locking style for about $37 each if I remember right. As for the deep pans I build my own from stock pans. It isn't to hard if you have a good MIG welder it is quite easy, just don't make it so deep that it hangs down lower than the bottom of the belhousing. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Kent,i just emailed some info for you.For the other guys there is a TCI adaptor to allow the use of a pan dipstick to any pan.The dipstick tube +stick are made by art carr i think as per tim's description.
Also if you go to a deeper pan make sure you get a deeper filter to suit.For a guide to depth,a factory c5 pan measures just under 2+1/2" deep if you are to make your own.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
B & M, Dynamic, PA and a few othere have a cast pan thet accepts the pan fill dipstick. Just ask for the adapter fitting to screw into the pan. The dipstick then goes into the fitting. The end of a C-4 pan fill dipstick is a large inverted flare like a brake line only single flare.
My brother has PA pan on his case fill and I beleive the heavy cast pan will act like a bottom end girdle for the C-4 and may help eliminate some of those weird C-4 valve body leaks that sometimes seem to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Thanks Greg.

Tim R, I checked out Coan's website and they sure did have the pan fill NHRA dipstick/tube assy and they also have the deep pan filter and with the pan fill adapter for the aluminum deep case fill pan will work perfect.

windsoreight,

What do you need for a C-4 case which accepts the case mount bell housing for my 460 C-4 bell? I would prefer a case fill case with case mount for bellhousing but if not, then a pan fill withcase mount for case mounted bellhousing? I need to transfer my internals into a case that accepts the case mounted bell and not a pump mount case(I'm starting to confuse myself but I think you get the idea). Thanks..

·
Registered
413 Posts
I do have a case lying around that was used for racing it is converted to AN fittings. It is a case mounted bell bur is pan fill. I don't think I have seen a havey duty c4 that was case fill.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I have come across a few c4's here that are case fill but are identical to the pan fill internals with 26 spl inputs.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I have only seen one case fill/case bell mount C-4 so I guess it's pretty rare. I have the #6 AN male fittings that go in stock C-4 cooler inlet/outlet but I need a case mount for bell case for my 460 bellhousing. I also need 3 block plates that go between bell and block to space out my converter from flex plate for proper freeplay. I can't find those in this worthless dead state(anti car state).

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
What about tracing out the stock plate and making your own from a thicker piece of aluminium to get the correct spacing? Also if you don't already have a convertor you could get it made a little shorter at the mounts to suit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 1/8/02 5:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
..or do like we did the night before the races while trying to install a new converter. Cut a piece of metal that goes in between the bellhousing and the case to space the bellhousing out further. Worked for me for the last 3 years. Make sure you get longer bolts too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts