Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to order the Hooker Headers for my 68 Gal with a 390. Summit claims these "Will only fit 16-bolt F.E. cylinder heads with the top four exhaust bolt holes in line. Will not seal properly on heads with the end upper bolts lower than the centerbolts."

My heads are the standard 8 bolt straight up and down pattern.

My question is, will they fit my head?

thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes they should fit your heads. However, be aware that the flanges may rely on the 16 bolts for extra strength and may actually be made of thinner material than a flange made to seal with only 8 bolts.

Scott...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decided to go with mad dog headers, they seemed to fit my budget better and seemed to be less of a hassle. Now I need to either hit them with some high heat header paint with ceramic or find some one local that does ceramic coating

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got my headers back from having them ceramic coated. Now once I tweek them a bit and get them installed on my 68, I will finally be ready to fire it up for the first time in two years.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow those are very nice!! What was the cost of each headers and coating? Who did the coating?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M&R performance coating in Kodak TN. Here is their link M&R Performance Coatings - Home. The headers are mad dogs which cost about 385.00 shipped. The coating cost 250.00. I originally was just going to put header paint on them but seen to many bad reviews so I chose to save up to have them coated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got the passenger side header on, it seemed to be fairly easy. Now on to the driverside, I could not get the front section to go in so I had to remove the power steering, oil filter, and the oil filter adapter. Once I got the header up in place, I had to move the dip stick tube over just a little bit for the header to pass. HUH! the darn thing broke into about an inch from the block. Man was I mad. I got the broken tube out of the block, now I guess I will have to fab one up out of 3/8 tubing. I swear it must not be meant for me to get this engine done. I've read several threads about how easy these headers go on. There must be something I'm Missing because I've had nothing but trouble on the driverside. Furthermore, I'm not sure if it's the ceramic coating but the collectors are a pain to put back on when installing all four pipes at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts