Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my project. A daily drivable project I might add:

1964 Fairlane sedan. I waited a longgggggg time to find one that A. I could afford B. That was extremely solid (see A & realize they don't go together - (usually) C. Was a V8 car & smallblock powered. D. A 4 speed car ... it's auto now but will be T5 as soon as my pocket will allow.

Upgrades will include, as I drive, the following:

MPR Race Cars Coil over conversion on the front end
Maybe some disc brakes but minimum to split the system with a dual master
Front bucket seats
Old style americans with skinnys on the front & a little mini tub for a 275 or 295 rear skin
The T5 & front bucket seats in the original material/design
MSD for no firing issues
Battery relocation to the trunk

So my starting point:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey 6T4BOLT while you are searching for things to fix up that car I have a question. Although your car looks quite well and not needing much, looks great by the way. I have a 64 fairlane k code complete car but needs a few things. I been buying off ebay , sportscoupe emblems and such. I will need front and back bumpers or rechrome mine. If you happen to run accross extra stuff you are not gona use I would be intrested perhaps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do .... only real item that will be removed body work wise will be the hood. It will be replaced with a teardrop glass item.

Everything else will "probably" stay with the car.

I will, however, keep my eyes/ears open to see what's availible locally.

6T4

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well ... I dug out the old set of Monocoque front wheels that I've had for about 3 million years. They fit & with the negative offset will look kewl with new skins on them. I need a new set of lug nuts but ... that's it to get started.

Rear wheels & tires to come.

I have solidified my plans & this is what gives:

Crites teardrop hood & possibly the rear deck lid

MPR Race Cars front coil over conversion

Bucket seats (the '64 econoline frames are being covered as I write)

manual trans conversion - already have the pedals.

Rear mini tub & Calvert Racing suspension upgrades (like their own '64 SS car)

Some exhaust upgrades

I do have a Precision Turbos turbo & wastegate that could find it's way into the engine bay for some cheap exhaust HP.

6 pnt. cage - just in case

Battery relocation - to the trunk area

A fuel system upgrade - probably a fuel cell & new lines.

A few other minor changes ...

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well ... a bit of an update:

As you might have read on another thread ... "Look what followed me home ... another '64 fairlane" I scored a brandy new front windshield.

I also found a resourse that restored ford econolines. I made contact & as luck would have it he'd purchased a '64 with great seat frames. It was a AZ. truck so it only had a bit of surface rust.

This is what I have now to replace the bench seat:

I'm in search of some decent adjustable tracks to afix the seats to the floor pan. As soon as they are in ... I'll post more pix.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is that seat from an Econoline? I may have exactly what you are looking for. I was going to use the same seats in my Fairlane. I modified a set of bench seat tracks and custom made some brackets to mount them to the floor. send me a PM and i'll email some pics

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow! I really like that car! You are building it almost exactly the way I would've done mine if mine weren't so low mileage and original!

I can't bring my self to cut it or deviate very far from original and I would never do anything irreverseable to this one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks 68stang351.

It is a great little car. I don't want to stray to far from the original. I dig original but this car is a real daily driver for me.

I prefer to call what I'm doing as upgrades. All can be reversed except the mini tub job that's on the list. But then again ... isn't hot rodding all about what YOU want & not to judge others personal interpertations of what they want.

Not sure you saw the other car I recently picked up ... but it's a unfinished Sheppard Race Cars Outlaw 10.5 or NMCA racer 1964 Fairlane C-dan. I couldn't pass it up.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are correct ... not a dry AZ or high dessert car but a solid GA. car. Not salt or ocean nearby so they tend to last.

My other is just as solid although there isn't much left of the original ... top, doors, qrtrs., deck lid & tail panel are kick ass solid.

I'll check your .com info out.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well in quest to find the right wheels for my blue car I've searched the planet for a somewhat unique wheel that looks "period" for the look. I've found sooooo many Torque Thrust wheels my head spins. As kewl as they look everyone uses them. I also heavily considered some Rocket 5 spokes.

What I did find was a 14" 6" wide Parnelli Jones five spokes. From what I can gather they are mid 60's wheels. Jones was a racer so street cred should be up. Here they are ... center caps and all:

Thoughts??

6T4 Bolt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.