Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was on my way back from dallas, which is a 3 hour drive, and I went to pass a truck. I stepped on it and it downshifted and only went to 5,000 RPM or so. When I let off it started making a popping noise every second or two. It sounded like a backfire through the carb. I slowed down and it happened every 5 secs or so as long as I didn't try to accelerate. I would think it was a carb problem, but this is the third carb that has done this. The only thing I can think of is lifter float because it only happens when I accelerate hard past 4,500 RPM. I looked inside the carb and there were no black deposites, and it still looks new. Any ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
A pop is USUALLY an ignition problem!!! Check your wires first and if they are old you should replace them!!Normally your carb is jetted big enough for your engine if it is and aftermarket carb,so this SHOULD NOT be your problem!!What I mean is if you don't have a gorilla motor making gobs of horsepower than the carb should not be the problem!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got a lifter that's pumping up..........holding the valve (in this case, intake), open. It bleeds down after some regular driving, and sounds ok again, right?
If it was an secondary ignition problem, it'd be there more than just getting on it.
My .002

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what it does. I know it happens just about every other time I pass someone at 90-100 MPH, but sometimes I can't help it. This time was the worst. It usually only lasts a minute or two, but this time it was for 15 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts