Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rancho is a 77.Does anyone know if a 2.35-75R-15 tire will work on the front, with a stock steel wheel. I am wondering if it will hit the ball joint or maybe outer fender lip. Thanks for any thoughts. Ron

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
It might, but that's a really tall tire compared to stock. I would first use the calculator here to find the increase in diameter and section width (max bulge width - not tread width) and compare with yours. A trip out to the Ranchero with a ruler should give you some answers. At least enough to decide if it's worth trying or not. Be sure to measure with the wheels at max turn angle and loaded like turning into a steep driveway.

Don't forget that size is very common, and you can buy a used tire on CraigsList locally for peanuts and just try it. It it fits and works OK - then drop the cash for a fresh set.

David

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, thanks for the response and the calculator link. Actually, today I found a 2.35 75 on a wheel in the shed that I had forgotten. I put it on the left front and it totally clears the ball joints. Plenty of room fore and aft. It gets snug at the top, but I never could make it hit or scrub. I don't think the backspacing could be changed much though. Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts