Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got to drive the cyclone around a little bit a few weeks ago. Man, what a smooth ride, that long wheelbase and super soft leaf springs really absorb the bumps. After driving her 2 miles, I stoped at a stop sign, and then when the traffic was clear, I gave her some gas and started rolling backwards. The trannie was acting like it was in neutral, but it was in drive. Putting the trannie in any gear resulted in the same problem, no forward or reverse gears (except for park, of course). I checked the trannie fluid, filled it up, it was low and let the car sit for about 20 minutes and drove off again. I went over to a buddy's house, he wasnt there, so to get out of his driveway, I had to do an 8 point turn. Every time I shifted from Drive to Reverse and from Reverse to Drive, it took the tranny longer and longer to go into gear, until finally, once I got the car pointed in the right direction, I lost all gears again. So I let the car sit for about 20 minutes and voila, Drive has returned. I drove for about 45 seconds, lost all gears aagin, let the car sit for 20 min, drove for about 45 seconds, let the car sit for 20 minutes till I was close enough to get a tow home. Now, this tranny has sat for a while 5+ years. When I tear it apart, what would be the culpret on causing these symptoms? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I had the same problem with mine in the summer. The forward clutch pack was fubared, also the forward band broke. Hopefully that didnt happen to you. Now I have a real good tranny and was an excuse to put in a new converter. I even put a tranny cooler in.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Since the prob occurs in all gears it is likely there is a pressure loss somewhere.The first place to check is that the filter is clear.A blocked filter gives these symptoms.If there is clutch material blocking the filter it's time to find where it came from...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts