Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is my last new thread for the week I promise! I'm having issues with my turn signals in my 63 galaxie and I haven't been able to find the solution yet. I did a search on this forum and have tried just about everything that was mentioned. Here's where I'm at now:

First, my turn signals started acting up after I unplugged and cleaned some wiring. I went through all the connections to be sure they were solid but then started blowing fuses. I could get all the turn signals to work again by replacing the 14 amp fuse and they would work with the key turned to the On position. However, once I started driving they would blow the fuse.

Now, none of my turn signals or blinkers in the dash will turn on at all. The fuse is good and the wiring has been gone through in the rear of the car. I have looked at and tested a lot of wires under the dash but haven't found anything obvious....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It would appear that your cleaning and unplugging - replugging the wires revealed, or caused a break in a wire, or two. Now you have more work chasing every circuit to find the break. These old cars just keep on giving and giving.

·
Registered
63 convertable
975 Posts
blown fuses indicate a short to ground. did all the t/s light work when they came on, or was one out- like dash indicater etc. i know it's probably not something you noticed.
using an ohm meter, a circuit going through a bulb to ground will have more resistance than one shorted to ground.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it appears I fixed the problem. I cleaned up some terminals and moved some wiring around. I also replaced the flasher relay which I swear was good before.

I also replaced the black/red wire that runs to the taillights. For some reason the last owner had that wire separated from the rest of the cluster in the sheath and they tightened the front bench seat right down on top of the wire. It had 2" of flattened pancake in it!

To answer your question, all of my turn signals would work (gauge lights too) when the ignition key was turned to the On position but then the fuse would blow when I started driving.

blown fuses indicate a short to ground. did all the t/s light work when they came on, or was one out- like dash indicater etc. i know it's probably not something you noticed.
using an ohm meter, a circuit going through a bulb to ground will have more resistance than one shorted to ground.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I spoke too soon because today I blew another fuse. I think I found the culprit though.
After replacing the fuse I pushed up on the fuse box (attached to the headlight switch) and the signals would work but when I let go they stop.
I think the problem is the orange wire that attaches to the 14A fuse for the turn signal/backup lights. I'll investigate tonight if I can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, that's my plan. Aside from cleaning connections and contact points and looking for loose wires, is there something else I should be looking for?

it isn't very hard to remove the h/l switch, and the fuse box comes off of it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, looks like the real problem was a loose connection at the fuse panel. The fuse and fuse wire for the turn signals was loose in the holder. I'm going to see if I can't tighten it up and hopefully, I won't have to buy a replacement.

·
Registered
63 convertable
975 Posts
bad connections cause resistance. resistance causes heat makes the copper loose it's "spring". very difficult to anneal small stuff like that. better just to replace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts