Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While taking the fender off my 67 gal. I broke the connector that hooks to the antenna. I am finding a ton of antenna ext. but very few replacement cable. I feel like this should be universal and common. Does anyone know of where to get one that works for sure? I hate to order stuff just to see it and know it won't in 5 seconds. Thought about repairing but figure replacing might be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Connector? At the fender or at the firewall/dashboard?

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Doesn't it just push into the bottom of the antenna or did it break at the 90 degree bend or did the cable break? I think I may still have the cable from my antenna (antenna deleted from the fender on mine), but I'd have to check this week.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it broke at the fender. I have look at a number of places for a replacement but they look cheap. Dennis Carp shows a replacement for around $70. I like Dennis but I am shooting about 50% on what they show and I need then calling up to find out it is obsoleted. I would love to keep the original antenna if fordman or anyone else wants to part with theirs.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
It appears I tossed my antenna and cable, that or I hid them well. I need to do some cleaning in the garage this week, so I can check later and get back to you in a few days or this weekend, but I'm not 100% sure I kept the antenna or the cable.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
An alternative would be not to worry about it and get a hidden antenna. Needs 12v power, but tucks up under the dash and works fine on my stereo. I had the same issue (ish) - broken cable. Was far too much effort to fix when a $20 hidden antenna does the job nicely.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the "hidden" antenna but was a little put off because of the price. Do they work as good as antenna in other vehicles? you have yours mounted under the dash? I thought you would have to mount it to the windshield. I didn't think I would like that look, but under the dash I might do. What brand did you buy?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I looked at the "hidden" antenna but was a little put off because of the price. Do they work as good as antenna in other vehicles? you have yours mounted under the dash? I thought you would have to mount it to the windshield. I didn't think I would like that look, but under the dash I might do. What brand did you buy?
I have a hidden one as well, because I deleted the external one on my car. They work great, and the claim is that they work better than stock. I got mine of ebay..wasn't too much $$$ either.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I have a dipole antenna in the trunk connected to an extension on my aftermarket radio now. If I remember right, it pulls in FM well, but nothing on AM. I really didn't care about FM since my radio is Satellite ready and has a USB and line input for a MP3 player as well as playing MP3 CD's. Figured it would be nice to be able to tune in the ballgame if I was driving in the summer, but that didn't work out.

Haven't looked at other options yet, I can always pull in the game over the internet through the phone if needed. I removed the antenna mainly for the look and the fact I really never listen to AM or FM radio.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
As others have said, they work and work well - picks up AM and FM fine, and the only time it goes bad is when I've stopped under a power line or something - creeping forwards an inch usually fixes that. Mine is mounted under the dash - came with a really sticky pad on it, and I cleaned a part of the exposed firewall really well and stuck her on there. You can't see it, it works, and to be honest before this thread I'd completely forgotten I'd put one in!

Not sure what brand I bought, but it was $25 or so here in Australia, ergo I'm sure you can get a similar one on the US. It's got plenty of cable do you can mount it wherever, and looks like a thin black 12-inch ruler. Can take a pic of it for you before I jump in to go home.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Here's how mine is mounted. It's not much to look at, but it's actually stuck to the air vent ducting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts