Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1965 FASTBACK 68 302 ENGINE. This winter while in storage in the garage, I noticed a leak, it is antifreeze. It is dripping from the bellhousing. I cannot see anything coming from the intake, so it must be from the back of the block. It is not all the time, but will leak a small puddle then stop, the leaked liquid will dry up then a few days later it will leak another small puddle. If I start it up and bring it to temp and pressure it does not show any signs of a leak. Any ideas of where this may be from and how to stop it. I would like to take it on an extended vacation this summer, but would like to get this problem resolved before we leave.

·
Registered
780 Posts
$ to doughnuts its a rear intake leak....No need to fool around.... Remove the intake, clean all sealing surfaces with acetone, change the gaskets (use Felpro), use (new) Permatex Ultra Black RTV silicone on all sealing surfaces around the water jacket holes. Torque to spec.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Probably the intake gaskets. Tighten the bolts to see if that helps. Stuff some paper towels around the back of the intake area where the intake and the head meet and see if anything soaks into the paper. That will help identify which side its coming from. If you find the leak there replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Are you running FelPro Printoseal intake gaskets?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure what gaskets are on it, but how will stop leak work if it only leaks once in awhile while cold and no pressure. It didn't leak for almost a week now today there was a small puddle? Should I just pull the intake and replace the gaskets?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If your sure the intake gaskets are leaking replace them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If I were you I'd keep looking for the source of the leak.

First is to find where it's dripping off the motor. Use a clean piece of cardboard on the floor if needed. A good flashlight and a small mirror can be helpful. If possible, trace the path of the coolant upward from the drip point.

As frustrated as you are now, imagine how much moreso having replaced intake gaskets and still having a pesky leak.

Stop leak is good for sealing things like minor scratches\imperfections in surfaces that can leak past a gasket. Many engine rebuilders put a stop leak pellet inside the block before putting in the freeze plugs.

·
Registered
780 Posts
not sure what gaskets are on it, but how will stop leak work if it only leaks once in awhile while cold and no pressure. It didn't leak for almost a week now today there was a small puddle? Should I just pull the intake and replace the gaskets?
YES, I have experienced the same leak characteristics while my car was stored in the garage for the winter. Once there is a leak around the water jacket, I would take the intake off and replace the gaskets per my previous email.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.