Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, folks.

Winter is approaching quickly and I figured a "fun" winter project would be seeing if I could manage to repaint the details on the wheel covers for the Park Lane. They're pretty fiddly with tons of masking needed. I think the black sections won't be TOO difficult to mask, and I plan to paint everything on the kitchen table with a simple brush - but I'm a little worried about brush marks. I SUPPOSE it would be possible to mask off the entire cover and shoot these areas with a simple flat black.

The real hangup for me is the center emblem. I have no clue how to go about masking that off. Maybe there's some kind of self-leveling paint that could just be slowly poured into the center cap until it fills the low spots? I'll admit I'm way out of my element here, so any prior experience or advice is welcome.

I'm including a pic (not mine, but fairly clear with colors intact) to make what I'm talking about understandable.

-Kelly

Electric fan Home appliance Automotive tire Mechanical fan Rim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though I've never attempted, someone I know used to grease/petroleum jelly/etc. to mask areas he didn't want painted when painting his wheels.
That's an interesting idea. I may have to see if the internet has some in-depth info on that. I think it might be hard to get where I wanted it, but it's absolutely worth looking. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To paint the black just mask off the major chrome area’s.
Paint the black and when it’s dry, buff the black off the “spokes”.
Hey Galaxie - you're always drawn to my helpless posts, lol. What would you suggest using to get the black off the spokes? One of them was clearly repainted once before and they didn't bother to mask or clean the spokes, so I'll need to do it at least once, anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The spokes are exactly 1/8th inch wide, but with a slight curve to them. I have 1/8th inch painters tape and have just laid down a test "spoke" so we'll see how it comes out.
Automotive tire Wood Alloy wheel Tread Rim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK that was a disaster, BUT one that could be undone.

So the paint crept under the tape almost immediately, I just can't get a tight enough cut line to keep it from wicking up the edge. I also wasn't thrilled with the coverage I was getting.

Fortunately it's enamel paint so a little mineral spirit and it's back to the starting point. I can definitely see why I run into some of these that have been painted in the past just had the entire dish shot one color without attempting to deal with the spokes.

Brainstorming continues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately I had a feeling that would be the case, but I was anxious to try with what I had on-hand.
My wife is a fine arts/painting graduate and knows more about paint that I ever will, so I'll enlist her to help me pick out a paint that won't run and pool in the spokes, since they're dished and it was causing paint to pool up in the depression.
I tried to get her on-board for just doing it all for me, but that went over about as well as could be expect.

Unexpectedly, a guy that does body work and paint got in touch with me today regarding a motorcycle I'm selling. I'll ask him about the pinstripe tape, he might have some lying around I can try with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same car but a 1964. I took a wheel cover to local paint supplier. They mixed me some brush on paint and thinner to use, because my grille and rear finish panel have black painted accents. I bought a good artist brush it was way easier than masking off all the areas. My wheel cover centers have tabs on the back that they can be removed. I don't know if yours are the same or not. Good luck.
No, they're single-piece. The center cap, that I was worried about the most, might actually be fairly easy if I thin a paint enough to flow and just let it self-level. There's a raised lip around the painted area and the emblem itself is also raised.

The spokes are fiddly because they have two high sides and a dip in the middle where a thin paint runs and pools.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wife has a friend that does vinyl cutting on the side. Going to see if I can get her to make me ~200 of them in order to see how they look. OK, granted, I'll start with a few to see if they're going to work. It takes 45 per wheel cover, so I don't expect to have them quickly.

Updates will follow, I promise.

In the meantime, going to replace the entire fuel line with one rubber line. The front rubber line and rear rubber lines have been replaced already, but the fuel pump loses prime after a few hours and makes it hard to start. Going to swap it all out in one unbroken line to eliminate the chance of it sucking air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts