Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 68 with stock disc brakes. any idea if other year rotors and disc brake setups will bolt on to the stock spindles? my old brakes SEEM fine but the rotors look pretty crappy and the brake pads look low as well, thinking changing things might be the best way to go. Or any other options i might have?? i dont feel like taking my spindles and other suspension bits out. really just looking for an affordable rotor and brake pad upgrade and trying to see if stronger larger calipers and brake parts from other years and cars might just bolt on. are the stock 68 calipers pretty good and not worth upgrading much?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well, unless you are willing to swap to later spindles, you are stuck with your present setup. I see no real problem with the 69/69 setup (KH sliding calipers).

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see no real problem with the 69/69 setup (KH sliding calipers).
can you elaborate on this more? i don't understand what this lingo really means!?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
He said that your current disc setup is a Kelsey Hayes sliding caliper setup and it's plenty sufficient to stop you.

In fact it is perfect for any large car that you want to stop.

I am of the opinion that you do not need anything other than what you got, albeit you need new pads and likely turned rotors if not a new set of rotors, but they're likely available at AutoZone or Napa for a not so expensive price.

Far cheaper than swapping the entire braking system in front for absolutely zero net gain.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said that your current disc setup is a Kelsey Hayes sliding caliper setup and it's plenty sufficient to stop you.

In fact it is perfect for any large car that you want to stop.

I am of the opinion that you do not need anything other than what you got, albeit you need new pads and likely turned rotors if not a new set of rotors, but they're likely available at AutoZone or Napa for a not so expensive price.

Far cheaper than swapping the entire braking system in front for absolutely zero net gain.
i figured as much. thanks. I'm having trouble finding decent rotors though!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You shop brake and steering parts by quality, not price. There is a lot of crap out there that can get you hurt.

Find what you want and then shop price.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You shop brake and steering parts by quality, not price. There is a lot of crap out there that can get you hurt.

Find what you want and then shop price.
id like new rotors and i see good quality rotors for just about every car and year for much less than i can find for a 68 galaxie. the only ones i even find for the gal are brands I'm not Eden that familiar with.

can you make a recommendation? id like some that could be stock replacement. nothing too fancy.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
id like new rotors and i see good quality rotors for just about every car and year for much less than i can find for a 68 galaxie. the only ones i even find for the gal are brands I'm not Eden that familiar with.

can you make a recommendation? id like some that could be stock replacement. nothing too fancy.
When young, I always used BENDIX as they were a major supplier to FOMOCO. They decided to go the CHINA along with the quality.

I then found RAYBESTOS the premium supplier as to quality. It even surpassed OEM in my opinion. I would not use anything else (except for certain OEM European/Asian apps).

Your system (1968) is a little expensive to service. But it is a good system.

Go Here And Read- Raybestos Brakes - Home

The PN for the rotor(s) is 6008R. GOOGLE THE PN for price shopping (@ 115.00 RockAuto).

As for pads, anything you buy from them make sure it reads PROFESSIONAL GRADE. They offer cheaper pieces also.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When young, I always used BENDIX as they were a major supplier to FOMOCO. They decided to go the CHINA along with the quality.

I then found RAYBESTOS the premium supplier as to quality. It even surpassed OEM in my opinion. I would not use anything else (except for certain OEM European/Asian apps).

Your system (1968) is a little expensive to service. But it is a good system.

Go Here And Read- Raybestos Brakes - Home

The PN for the rotor(s) is 6008R. GOOGLE THE PN for price shopping (@ 115.00 RockAuto).

As for pads, anything you buy from them make sure it reads PROFESSIONAL GRADE. They offer cheaper pieces also.

Let us know how it turns out.
is that $115 for just one stock replacement rotor or is.that for two of them?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
You can put 1970 one piece rotors on a 1968 Galaxie by instaling A2 and A6 bearings in the new rotors. K/H sliding caliper brakes are more than enough brakes.rebuilt calipers were $28.00 at parts store and rotors were $92.00. i converted a 4 piston setup to single piston sliding caliper.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Raybestos has moved much of even their 'Professional Grade' production to China.
It figures... :frown:

I guess all the young guys will be marrying sing-song girls next...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts