Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a pump. I did use a hose attached to a funnel once took forever.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put a hose directly on the gear oil bottle and then i sqeeze it in. When the bottle starts to get empty (1/2 or less) top up the bottle with more gear oil. Also try to keep the bottle higher than the fill hole, it way easier using gravity than trying to fight it.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
aren't the pumps like 4 bucks ? anyways, I leave the bottle in the house or in direct sunlight for several hours, that really helps. my first 2 times i used gear oil were both winter time...... impossible to pump-

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
If I have the axle out, I fill it there.

Otherwise I put a 3/8" hose on the end of the bottle's nipple and into the fill hole. Once the bottle is tilted up and securely balanced against the shock/housing/body, I stab the bottom of the bottle to let air get in.

It takes about 5 minutes to empty a bottle this way. Enough time to go to the bathroom or start on a refreshment.

65' Stang

393 Stroker, Toploader 4 spd, 9" 3:70 rear.

Victor Jr. Knockoff Heads, 282S cam, Stealth Intake, Bigs Stage 5 750DP, Accufab Headers, Scattershield, Caltracs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 6/17/06 4:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Good tip Dennis....I'll just add make sure the oil is warm.I usually set my bottles of oil in a sink of hot water to make sure the oil is nice and thin so it will run out as fast as possible( not that 75W90 is ever really thin!)_________________
1968 mustang 306,stock ported heads,650 Holley DP,weiand Xcellerator intake, Comp cams Magnum 292,[email protected] and 518L,heddman headers,4speed with a 4.11 detroit locker.13.69 at 101 mph.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 6/17/06 4:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a transmission funnel with a 3/8 clear tube jamed over the end. Put the tube in the hole and run it over the rear tire and fill the rear from out side of the car. Put a pan under the rear to catch the overflow. If you don't want to stand and hold the funnel raise the deck lid and hang the funnel from the lifter or hindge with a coat hanger ( put a fender cover between the funnel and car ).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freddie on 6/17/06 8:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
117 Posts
air compresser, one gal. plastic gas "can", rubber tube. Cut a small hole snug for an air blower (safest way) or install a ball valve you can hook an air line to. Put lube in can, place tube in can so it is near the bottom put tube in fill hole and pressurize the can EASY if you air tight connections in the can(the blower will blow out before the can blows). Lube should flow(in AZ lube is warm all the time).

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On 2006-06-16 18:32, CWallace wrote:
(in AZ lube is warm all the time).
Now that's a quote I thought I'd never see.

BTW it's best to keep it warm, cold lube pisses of the GF.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Jack the body up, let the rear droop. Easy fill.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I usually like to put on a brand new shirt, then try to squeeze it in directly from the bottle, which results in me spilling it all over the place and ruining my brand new shirt. Then I like to run over my hair wih the creeper a few times to mash the 90wt I spilled on the floor into my hair. After that I prefer to swear for a while while and pace aroung kind of aimlessly while I look for the pump that I should have found in the first place. Once I find the pump, I effortlessly fill the rear end and silently wish I hadn't been such a knucklehead in the first place.
Very simple. Very Easy

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cain

I'm not sure whats worse in the hair the 80-90, or the tranny fluid. I am trying not to do the knucklehead thing anymore, but man can I relate!

Anyone have a link to this $4 pump

Jeff

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you want crafty, grab a spare power steering pump, toss the pulley, chuck it in a drill motor, and put the low pressure hose in the bottle and the high pressure in the axle.

Let her rip.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
im back, missed the discussion for the last few days..... no link to the pump but autozone sells them. gear oil pump- pumps gear oil.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I use a pump-up garden sprayer for the cars as well as the boat (lower unit)....Remove the small pickup tube inside...Pump it up...Lay it on its side and let it work!!

Cobrajack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts