Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking my car to a chassis dyno in the next couple of weeks, and I want to make sure I have everything necessary to get the job done right. Does anyone have any advice on things to bring, any preparation that should be done, or what to avoid during the session?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thats a very good question. Having never used a chassis dyno there will be, nodoubt, alot better answers....but I would start with - make sure you have enough fuel for the session AND that it is the fuel you normally use - have any parts with you that you want to "try" - a set of plugs - valve clearances set if need be. I think I would spend time on the basic things like base tune is close, ensuring nothing is leaking etc etc....dyno time costs money and you don't want to be chasing minor issues or problems that were evident before.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to get a baseline with both closed and open exhaust. I'll then do some minor tuning with open exhaust: timing, jetting if needed, and then trying 2 different air cleaner setups.

I have about 850 miles on the fresh rebuild and the plugs were new. Should I replace them anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Make sure to get your car to operating temp before you go, also make sure that if your tuner doesent have tuning parts to provide thise. I have done it twice and once with a demon carb that the dyno operator wasnt comfortable with. I brought the car back with a holley and hw felt fine with it. Getting your car dynod is really fun, and be prepaired to see your car do what it was meant to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I'll be going 2 weeks from today, so I'll report back on my results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an appt set up for the 22nd (week from Saturday). It is a one hour tunning session with as many passess as possible (them doing the tunning). It was recommended to me to bring the following:

extra jets
new springs for my stock distributor to adjust the timing curve
secondary spring kit for my Holley
extra plug in case one gets broken while adjusting gaps (if necc)

Best of luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dyno session was delayed and is now scheduled for the middle of next week. I'd be interested in seeing how your tuning goes, sbrickell.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine is this Saturday... I'll be calling to confirm middle of the week. Just printed out a list of to-do's so I have every thing like I want it for my initial baseline.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts