Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Ford Custom 500 2dr sedan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ordered many interior parts from ecklers.com? I've been shopping for interior parts for my 64 custom (carpet seat covers headliner armrests etc ended up with a subtotal of about $1500) After reading reviews im really questioning buying stuff from them but a lot of stuff i've found no other alternative other than sms. Any alternatives would be welcome along with stories of your experience with ecklers.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
I recently bought a fair amount of parts from Eckler's/Mac's/Dearborn Classics.

Left and right quarter patch panels - Not bad and shipped pretty quick
Passenger floorpan - Still waiting after 2 months
Rear disc brake conversion kit - They sent front conversion kit for a 64 not rear kit for 69. I verified that this was the right kit by both telephone and email before ordering. They did take the parts back and paid for shipping but still unacceptable in my book.
Front calipers L/R - 2 months later I have cancelled my order. They say they never charged me for them but I showed them they did, still no refund.
Front rotors L/R - Not bad and shipped pretty quick

My overall impression is unless you have no other choice to source your parts, stay away from them.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Ok. I generally use Eklers through their Macs website. Last year I really got mad because of a shipping issue only. I had my Gal on the rack apart and needed some unexpected emergency parts quickly. I made it abundantly clear how important speedy delivery was required on the phone and paid for 2 day shipping. Did not happen. ---- Now that said, I have bought lots of stuff for my Gal from them and have had no quality issues and my shipments have been fast and accurate. I just got a quick delivery today for a partial order. and was told up front that two items in the order would be a two week delivery. That's fine because I wont start the front end project till the order is complete. All in all I will continue to use them. I find their quality and pricing to be OK on all my past projects.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Has anybody ordered many interior parts from ecklers.com? I've been shopping for interior parts for my 64 custom (carpet seat covers headliner armrests etc ended up with a subtotal of about $1500) After reading reviews im really questioning buying stuff from them but a lot of stuff i've found no other alternative other than sms. Any alternatives would be welcome along with stories of your experience with ecklers.
Hello greasemonkey64,

Ecklers is mostly a reseller, I think they make some parts, just like Dennis Carpenter does or Obsolete Auto. But a lot of the parts is bought from usually one or two sources amongst them all. At that point it boils down to their customer service. I haven't had any really bad experiences from Ecklers as long as I just stick to parts I cannot find anywhere else and do not buy anything else. Like extech said the parts are cheaply made and barely fit. As long as you don't have much expectation beyond that you won't be dissapointed even for some of the high prices you pay. These parts will never be the quality of original Ford parts.

I've had problems with Dennis Carpenter. I bought some new tail lamp chrome bezels for the '66 model and the chrome was blistered, obviously from contamination from lack of prep and cleaning between plating stages. I took pictures and sent them in, no response what-so-ever. I then called the company and eventually wormed my way through the phone BS to the quality control manager and was told right over the phone there's not enough complaints for us to do anything about it.

Wow..... sadly that's the attitude of most of these aftermarket places. I have had some really good experiences with Obsolete Auto and dealing with the manufacturers of things like headliners. Obsolete Auto makes their own door window felt kits (anti- rattler kits). I have that somewhat less than common '66 4 door hardtop LTD. Every place I called said those weren't available anymore for that model. Obsolete asked a few questions and then called 15 minutes later and said sure we can make you a set, and they fit pretty darn well, now that's customer service.

I had to hunt down the manufacturer of a headliner and it wasn't SMS for the odd colour of ivy gold (kind of yellowish green) for the '66 LTD 4 door hardtop as again no place offered it. I actually got through talked to the fella and again answered some questions and wha-la it showed up and I laid it over the original one on the floor it looks an exact match (colour, grain pattern, and sewing). Granted you sometimes have to pay a premium for these one off items but it's worth it if you want it done.

As for seat covers again, it wasn't SMS, but I found a place that custom made me new door/quarter cards and all seats covers for our '66 gal 500 XL. They did a pretty good job too.

A lot of finding well made or decently made parts is hit and miss and sometimes you end up buying the same part from more than one manufacturer and sometimes it's a gamble as you loose and your stuck with extra substandard parts that you ultimately just have to toss in the bin and chalk it all up to fixing up an old non mainstream car. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning the situation, but I really can't change it, just have to work my way through it. One thing is for sure it's frustrating, expensive and time consuming. Fixing up an old Ford full size is not for the timid that's for sure, especially the 3rd generation models.

Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
MAC's hasn't really been bad, but at the same time, I have had better success with more harder to find new parts with AutoKrafters. I agree with DesertXL, it is hit and miss, but for our types of cars, just having at least a chance on getting a crappy part is better than nothing at all, at least until you can find a better replacement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I made the mistake of ordering a 7-Litre interior on sale months before I needed it. When it came time for the installation, I found Dearborn sent a 4-door headliner, plus the seat medallions were missing. As a kit for a 7-Litre/XL, it shouldn't have happened, yet they never took responsibility. I had to buy the medallions and headliner elsewhere.

Since then I try to give all my business to Auto Krafters and C&G Ford.

·
Registered
1964 Ford Custom 500 2dr sedan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may try sms. I've got some fabric samples coming from them to see if i like the quality and to help make a final desicion on color. I'm either going to go with the stock beige or red. Beige will probably be cheaper as I wont need new armrests or sunvisors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ordered window felt from dearborn classics (ecklers/mac's) on June 26. Still don't have them and just looked to see "estimated ship 9/11/2020". No notification parts did not say backorder. I also ordered an interior kit a few years ago took about a month to come in but I didn't consider that bad. Somehow they sent me an extra arm rest. Seat skins look alright but have no medallion(didn't bother me) but fit too tight. I'm concerned about some of the stitching around the frame. Dash pad doesn't fit, don't bother. Finally getting to door panels today. They look alright. Part quality is dependant on where they source from. Exept the dash pad so far I've found the parts serviceable for the price but you can probably do better. As for ecklers/macs/dearborn as a company. Customer service is poor, inventory control seems to be non-existant, and the web design should be considered a crime against humanity. In the future I will order pretty much anywhere else first. Even if autokrafters shows backorder and ecklers doesn't I would still bet on getting the order from autokrafters first.

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
I ordered several things recently and only one item ever told me it shipped which was the stickers for my sill plates. The other items, carpet, seat covers, keys and something else I can't remember just magically appear with no notification. Except the keys. I had to call and even they could find nothing on shipping of them so they sent me another and said if the first ones show up then it's compliments of them. These were the gold anniversary type keys. I used to like ordering from the different vendors but now that Ecklers has taken over I am not impressed at all. Not to mention the 30 mins on hold to find out it wasn't Dearborn but Mac's or Carpenter I ordered from but at least that hold time was only 10 mins!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven’t had the best experience with Mac’s/Ecklers. I ordered several things three weeks ago and they haven’t shown. I called in today and the lady said they were sitting there and she doesn’t know why they never shipped but she will get them on their way tomorrow... I have been waiting for three weeks for nothing and no explanation as to why. So that’s my experience...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been quite satisfied with Ecklers. Tons of stuff for my 64 Galaxie Fastback came from them (several $1000's) but it mostly was before the Chinese virus. Everyone else is blaming slow service on the virus now. Quality has been good and even my only return has worked out well. My big disappointments lately have been NAPA, Raybestos and Bendix and incidentally all this stuff also came from China.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Ok. I generally use Eklers through their Macs website. Last year I really got mad because of a shipping issue only. I had my Gal on the rack apart and needed some unexpected emergency parts quickly. I made it abundantly clear how important speedy delivery was required on the phone and paid for 2 day shipping. Did not happen. ---- Now that said, I have bought lots of stuff for my Gal from them and have had no quality issues and my shipments have been fast and accurate. I just got a quick delivery today for a partial order. and was told up front that two items in the order would be a two week delivery. That's fine because I wont start the front end project till the order is complete. All in all I will continue to use them. I find their quality and pricing to be OK on all my past projects.
UPDATE ----- On July 10 I ordered about 9 steering rebuild parts for my 63 Gal from Mac's. They told me upfront the long drag link bar was backordered and would be several weeks out. I received the first two shipments of the order in less than a week. The drag link just came today Fedex on Wednesday July 29. I am putting my car on the rack this next Monday. So all in all, Eklers/Macs did just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts