Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive officially taken a job and moved to Beaumont, any one with a Gal in my neck of the woods?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Ive officially taken a job and moved to Beaumont, any one with a Gal in my neck of the woods?
Hey Mr. W,
I'm just north of you about 125 miles in Onalaska, Texas, where Highway 190 crosses the mighty Trinity River. In Texas, 125 miles is like being just around the corner. Did you know that El Paso is halfway to Los Angeles from Houston? :)

JC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mr. W,
I'm just north of you about 125 miles in Onalaska, Texas, where Highway 190 crosses the mighty Trinity River. In Texas, 125 miles is like being just around the corner. Did you know that El Paso is halfway to Los Angeles from Houston? :)

JC
I do know that its 87x miles from border to border on i10......crazy if you think about it, you can drive for 12 hrs and still be in the same state.......and thats breaking speed limits

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I do know that its 87x miles from border to border on i10......crazy if you think about it, you can drive for 12 hrs and still be in the same state.......and thats breaking speed limits
Hey Mr. W,
There used to be a big sign board (15' X 45') on Interstate 10 that said: "We've driven from sunrise to sunset, and here we are in Texas yet!" :)

One time, right after my father died, my mother was beset by some people who were trying to take advantage of the situation, and she called me asking what to do. I told her I would drive to Cherry Valley, California and take care of it.

Left Onalaska, Texas at about 8:00 a.m.

Drove straight through in Ms. American which had just had her Engine recently rebuilt and was in tip top shape.

The 1,300 mile trip took 26 hours, which included a number of stops for refueling. That's an average of 50 MPH. Do you know how fast you have to go to average 50 MPH when you're going through towns at 35 to 40 MPH and stopping for gas and food? :)

There were only two vehicles that passed me during that trek, both between Tucson, and Phoenix, Arizona.

One was a Greyhound Bus, which we tried to draft, but only succeeded in having Ms. American's FE's temperature start to rise because of the heat coming off the rear engined bus.

The other vehicle was a full dress racing Corvette, covered with decals, sponsors names, and racing numbers, probably out for a test drive. When it went past the 3.14, we were going about 85 MPH, and the Corvette must have been going near twice that.

Anyway, welcome to Texas. You in a petroleum related job?

JC

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Welcome!
I'm over in Houston, and drive down to Sabine Pass for work. I'm stationed with the Coast Guard down there. I have several buddies that live over there and we'll have a little fun on Crockett St sometimes. I use my little Ford for that trip though, my trusty Focus.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Administrator
21,663 Posts
TX and from So-Cal to the northern border both take forever! Thought i'd never get out of either state and TX i was leaving from Ft. Hood which is sort of in the middle. When we lived in the desert of CA it was at least 35 miles to anywhere with shopping beyond a grocery store. Of course half of that was just getting off the base. lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
welcome to Texas. You will learn before long that you are in Bowtie country. All though at the Good Guy show in Fortworth I seen more Fords, mostly Galaxie , than ever before. So we maybe gaining ground on Chevy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the center of Houston. There's a few Galaxie around here that I see every so often. Hope to have both of mine back on the road by the end of May, if not sooner.

You're pretty close to Houston Raceway Park (Royal Purple Raceway now), you can probably meet a few old Ford guys over there on the weekends. There's also Houston Motorsports Park on the northside, but I haven't been there myself, and MSR Houston down in Alvin where the Lemons race goes down every year.

·
Registered
977 Posts
HOWDY!
Welcome to Texas. I live 15 miles west of JC . In PointBlank, population 485. If you sneeze passing thru you'll miss the 2 gas stations and the post office..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Welcome!
I'm over in Houston, and drive down to Sabine Pass for work. I'm stationed with the Coast Guard down there. I have several buddies that live over there and we'll have a little fun on Crockett St sometimes. I use my little Ford for that trip though, my trusty Focus.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
You know any of the McCaullys. Also do you have a 63ford 4 door sedan or know of one..

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I'm in the center of Houston.
Me too, two miles west of downtown. Been halfway out your way to get some work done by a retired Ford mechanic in Channelview. Was always skeered to go further east, though ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
You know any of the McCaullys. Also do you have a 63ford 4 door sedan or know of one..
Nope, not personally. But I'm real bad with names. I haven't been to any of the coffee and cars or any other meets since I got these, I still don't think either one is ready for "prime time".

My '66 hasn't been on the road much, just a week or two before I had to pull the heads and it's been down since then. The '70 is running off and on depending on how much it's leaking from day to day.

Here they both are, for reference. The '66 picture is from the day after I got it and has been cleaned up a bit since then. The 70's just has a new rear bumper and exhaust, as I mentioned in the 69-70 thread.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts