Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone can give me a quick tutorial on using a dial bore guage? I understand how to set it up, center it in the cylinder, but i dont understand how/what the measurement is?

i.e. if you use the 4" anvil, stick it down a 4.00" bore...well then what? how do you come up with the inside diameter of the bore?

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a micrometer to setup zero on the
dial bore gage.

Put a gage in that will max out larger then
the bore you are check.
Set a micrometer to 4.000 on the money and
put the 2 ends of the bore gage in the mic.

Make sure its square to the mic, then set
the dial to zero. Now it is set at 4.00 when
you are on zero. So if you put it in the bore
and it says +.030 from zero then it is a 4.030 bore.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh, i think that makes sense:

i should set up the bore gauge anvil to say 4.050" (4" anvil + 0.050" spacer)

then use a micrometer to set zero at 4.00 (ie compress the bore guage meauring end 0.050":wink:

so now, when I take the mic off, the dial guage shows 4.050" exactly

now if I stick it in the bore, and the bore is say 4.005", then that is what the gauge will show (i.e. measuring tip will have compressed 0.045":wink:

thanks

hope i got that right...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang on 4/19/02 8:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I use a dial bore gage everyday. I use a standard though. Like tbird says. Just set up the mic to the size you want and zero the bore gage. The bore gages that I use are graduated in 1/1000's. Its best to use as little travel as nesscessary to arrive at the size you want. Move the gage down the bore 3 or 4 places and check for taper. Also rotate the gage at a 45 degree angle to check for out of round bore.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, looks like I need to get a mic first, my calipers are just to thin to work with accurately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts