Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Gal has missing springs packs so it is real low and need to order leafs, shocks, tires & 15in wheels. I'm a fan of the old school raked look with the rear in the air. Any one with pictures and spring/shock and tire combo info on your raked ride? Thanks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not sure if old school to you means north, or south of the border, but this is mine.... set up as I would have, had I owned it 'back in the day', say mid-70s. If this is what you're looking for, holler and I can fill in with some details.

Norm

bk091515b by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

morts111515d by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

·
Registered
37 Posts
Minn64Gal,

I have admired your car since the first time you have posted pics. Hope mine looks half as nice. I also love this stance!

I almost replied to this thread yesterday and was going to say the stance you are looking for is MinnGals's! Glad you posted!!!

Jose

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if old school to you means north, or south of the border, but this is mine.... set up as I would have, had I owned it 'back in the day', say mid-70s. If this is what you're looking for, holler and I can fill in with some details.

Norm

bk091515b by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

morts111515d by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr
Yes! maybe a touch higher in the rear is the look I want. I'm building a daily driver and I want no issues turning into steep driveways or deep dips in the road.

What springs do you have front & rear? Tire & wheel size front & rear? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
WOw Thanks Jose ! I'm very flattered you feel that way. :)

Norm

Minn64Gal,

I have admired your car since the first time you have posted pics. Hope mine looks half as nice. I also love this stance!

I almost replied to this thread yesterday and was going to say the stance you are looking for is MinnGals's! Glad you posted!!!

Jose

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had considered going a tad higher up front, for that 'gasser' nod, but stayed put after some internal 'analysis', lol. Too much height out back, without at least some more up front gets a little too "butt-high" to me, ......plus I'm almost out of headlight adjuster as it is. Much higher and I would have had to convert to different ones.

As it sits, I can clear alota stuff .....stuff that I giggle about when I see lowered car owners sweating speed bumps, and/or uneven pavement at car shows and so forth. I just sail right over, lol

Front coils:

I just went with Moog coils, which iirc where p/n 8000. The application was 390 V8 w/a/c. I could dig through my notes to verify.

Rear leafs:

6 leaves with coil-over shocks. Yes, some people will curl their lip on the coil-over part, but gotta tell ya the ride is very nice --not a buckboard, etc.

I went with General Spring, but to be honest I'd recommend Eaton for you, because General changed their website some yrs back, and you literally have to call them now, whereas Eaton's site is easy-peasy. More money though....

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/db/es-partsinquiry2.php?syear=1964&smake=Ford&smodel=Galaxie+500&sbody=2 DR Fastback&seng=V8 6.4L - 390cid

The front wheels and tires:

Wheel Vintique Magnum 500's ; 15 x 7 ; 3.75" bs; Radial T/A's (now) 215/70rx15's

The rears:

Wheel Vintique Mag 500s ; 15 x 8 ; 4" bs ; Radial T/A's 275/60r15's

I'll throw in a more current pic or two, to show how well the springs have held up since I did all this in the Fall of 2011.
One thing also to be aware of is that as you go higher in the rear, the more weight transfer you throw back at the fronts. So if it's too high back there, your car will sort of let you know, by seeming to be more "nose-dive-ish" --because you're upsetting the front to rear weight bias. You'll have to compensate for that by either going with a stiffer spring rate up front --or living with a certain rear height.
If you jack up one rear side for example -- the diagonally opposed front side dives down, right ? That's the effect I'm talkin' about.

Hope some of this helps ! :) Norm

ps: I also added the "Donahue bar' onto the front lower c/arms, and went to a 1" stabilizer bar. With those additions, and the springs, wow what a difference in ride quality and road feel.

WP_20180923_11_27_48_Pro by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

WP_20180915_16_15_52_Pro by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

Yes! maybe a touch higher in the rear is the look I want. I'm building a daily driver and I want no issues turning into steep driveways or deep dips in the road.

What springs do you have front & rear? Tire & wheel size front & rear? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
6 leaves with coil-over shocks. Yes, some people will curl their lip on the coil-over part, but gotta tell ya the ride is very nice --not a buckboard, etc.
Were did you find the coil-over rear shocks, I have been looking for some time and can't find any for my 64?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The p/n I have in my notes is: Monroe 58417

I then checked Amazon (where I originally bought them), but they no longer carry them. :(

Iirc; the app was something like a late '80s Dodge truck. I just went to online shock catalogs, the 'buyer's guide' area, where they generally show a pic of each shock, and then browsed around until I found the correct eye/stud configuration, and a length that would work. Due to my car's height I am running short shock extenders, but I did that just to err on the safe side, so the shocks would be working in their sweet spot.

I'm thinking you could take that p/n and either try and x-reference to another shock brand, or ....maybe even find a better fitting shock that is still being produced ?

Hth Norm

Were did you find the coil-over rear shocks, I have been looking for some time and can't find any for my 64?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had considered going a tad higher up front, for that 'gasser' nod, but stayed put after some internal 'analysis', lol. Too much height out back, without at least some more up front gets a little too "butt-high" to me, ......plus I'm almost out of headlight adjuster as it is. Much higher and I would have had to convert to different ones.

As it sits, I can clear alota stuff .....stuff that I giggle about when I see lowered car owners sweating speed bumps, and/or uneven pavement at car shows and so forth. I just sail right over, lol

Front coils:

I just went with Moog coils, which iirc where p/n 8000. The application was 390 V8 w/a/c. I could dig through my notes to verify.

Rear leafs:

I went with General Spring, but to be honest I'd recommend Eaton for you, because General changed their website some yrs back, and you literally have to call them now, whereas Eaton's site is easy-peasy. More money though....

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/db/es-partsinquiry2.php?syear=1964&smake=Ford&smodel=Galaxie+500&sbody=2 DR Fastback&seng=V8 6.4L - 390cid

The front wheels and tires:

Wheel Vintique Magnum 500's ; 15 x 7 ; 3.75" bs; Radial T/A's (now) 215/70rx15's

The rears:

Wheel Vintique Mag 500s ; 15 x 8 ; 4" bs ; Radial T/A's 275/60r15's

I'll throw in a more current pic or two, to show how well the springs have held up since I did all this in the Fall of 2011.
One thing also to be aware of is that as you go higher in the rear, the more weight transfer you throw back at the fronts. So if it's too high back there, your car will sort of let you know, by seeming to be more "nose-dive-ish" --because you're upsetting the front to rear weight bias. You'll have to compensate for that by either going with a stiffer spring rate up front --or living with a certain rear height.
If you jack up one rear side for example -- the diagonally opposed front side dives down, right ? That's the effect I'm talkin' about.

Hope some of this helps ! :) Norm

ps: I also added the "Donahue bar' onto the front lower c/arms, and went to a 1" stabilizer bar. With those additions, and the springs, wow what a difference in ride quality and road feel.
Norm. Thanks for the pictures and info. So looking at both Eaton and General, Eaton is 3 times more expensive. Is Eaton that much better of spring for the money?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Probably not ..... But, if it's peace of mind, and the worry about ordering the correct parts and so on, that is paramount, then YES, Eaton is likely the way to go ?

I strictly shopped price back then, when I shopped around for springs. Not having messed with leaf springs for decades, I admit by using GS I more or less "schlepped" my way through the ordering process. It's a wonder the car sits like it does, ha !

So knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd go with GS again, simply because I have some experience with how their 'deal' works versus what I see on Eaton's. By that I mean Eaton's looks very easy to order from, hence part of the price difference, perhaps?

And I'm also including putzy things such as the spring u-bolts, which on GS's site, I had to measure my old ones (length, width, and stud size), then guesstimate how much longer I would need, then order the correct ones. It appears that on Eaton's, you just click away and fill your shopping cart. lol

The GS springs looked very stout and well-made, btw ... They went in like they belonged there, no install issues, no squeaks or other surprises later. Knock on wood so far. ;)

On my journey building this car, some things are perfectly fine going the cheaper-the-better route, while other things I've learned the hard way, just pay ..and pay once, LOL.

Hope some of this helps :) Norm

Norm. Thanks for the pictures and info. So looking at both Eaton and General, Eaton is 3 times more expensive. Is Eaton that much better of spring for the money?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have any feedback on these? Ride or any issues bending mounts?
I'm looking to get 2 inches on my 63 so these are part of my research for all my options. Other than the fact that A-1 has been around since the 30's and specializes in older cars. I have no user knowledge. I do not want to reverse shackles so tires and these are probably the way I'll go. I'm doing the tires first as they are needed now (want as wide as fit/clearance will allow) and may do these shocks after the tires. ----- I am so wintered out as my Gal is still snowed in, inside my shop all winter.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts