Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be fair to assume that most (if not all) after market goodies for the C4 are made in and available in the good ol’ US of A?

I live in Perth, Western Australia, and have 3 pan fill C4’s, (all broken, and my current one has suddenly lost reverse).

I’m heading over to the USA this Saturday for a 3 week holiday and thought it may be worthwhile picking up some C4 goodies. I need enough items to make one very tuff C4 that will handle a big HP stroker Cleveland. I’ll also get some extra items to rebuild the other two C4s stronger then stockers.

What would you suggest I place on my shopping list?

We’ll be visiting California, Nevada and Utah. Any suggestions for retailers that I should get these parts from, or maybe someone you can recommend who does business over the web.

I’ll give the items to a reputable trans builder to do the work.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Well you would think it would be easy in California to get parts but....I have been there several times. My advice would be to contact some of the bigger places like Performance Automatics or Dynamic or Broader performance or Bulkparts beforehand and order what you want.. To save on freight to here which can be slow and expensive, have your order delivered to an address in the U.S if you have one wherever you're staying.
Now in saying that the parts you would want which will work out a little less expensive would be 6 planet gear sets ,input shafts solid front band if that's what you want(can get them in US but scarce here) maybe alto clutches or 6 clutch direct,dipstick tube if you need one,roller bearings for roller mods. Maybe aluminium deep pan.
You'll need to price up and see if it's worth it before hand.You can do nearly as well here but the planet gears are more here.

Here's some comparisons on bit's i've got.
6 gear sets P.A $220 US (Ozzy 4 gearsets are A$400)
PA input shaft $100 US
Pans $80 US
Dipstick tubes $59 US
Roller bearings about $3 US from bulkparts
Alto 6 clutch direct clutch just over the $100 US

Hope that helps....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 9/19/06 5:06pm ]</font>

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good advice Greg. You can do a whole lot of running around if your not prepared....much easier to ship to an address and bring it home. Your allowed around 70lbs luggage wise and by the time you ditch the packaging, its amazing what you can stack in those suitcases!!
Any performance parts are scarce/pricey in this country, so I even bring back gasket sets and the like. You guys are alittle different, so do your homework and see what you save the most on or can't get there...and stock up.
Are you guys still paying duty on bringing that sort of stuff into aussie?

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Not sure on the duty,i think it has changed now..The first couple items i bought from P.A a couple years ago cost me a fortune. An input shaft and 6 gear planet set which was $349US by the time i paid freight and converted the dollars i could live with. The $182Aus i paid to customs was ridiculous. Those 2 items ended up just on $800Aus by the time i had them..
Yep it is amazing what fits in a suitcase
Yes gaskets too are cheap. I got some felpro BB intake gaskets for 1/2 the price i pay here and they take up no room .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys

how do I know if these parts will fit the C4's that I've got?

I'm pretty sure all my C4's are stockers, and as I know next to nothing about them, is there a list written anywhere on this forum that lists the parts I'll need to convert a stocker to various degrees of strength, i.e. one list for a strong streeter, and another list for a tuffer C4 that will survive burnouts and the dragstrip?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RWinter on 9/19/06 9:13pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RWinter on 9/19/06 9:14pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Check to monster thread and ask questions i suppose is the best. Strong streeter /dragstrip would be the same upgrades. Planets are important,input shaft for piece of mind,plenty to read there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts