Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the motor in for my Galaxie. Before I put the body back on the frame, I was thinking of beefing up the suspension for auto cross. Not sure where to start, and don't want to go too radical. Anyone set up a big Ford or Merc for autocross?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Building

·
Registered
917 Posts
First she needs to be put on a big diet and loose some weight. Anywhere you can get rid of it. Then Disc brakes all the way around with braided steel hoses and dual MC. Posi rearend and probably 3.70 gears. 4 link rear suspension if I remember right. The factory stuff is to weak. Beef it up to the max, there is better stuff available, use a 3/4" rear swaybar or panhard rod. 1 1/8" front sway bar, with lowered BBF coil springs. Reinforce the lower control arm and beefy strut rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
First she needs to be put on a big diet and loose some weight. Anywhere you can get rid of it. Then Disc brakes all the way around with braided steel hoses and dual MC. Posi rearend and probably 3.70 gears. 4 link rear snaptube vidmate suspension if I remember right. The factory stuff is to weak. Beef it up to the max, there is better stuff available, use a 3/4" rear swaybar or panhard rod. 1 1/8" front sway bar, with lowered BBF coil springs. Reinforce the lower control arm and beefy strut rods.
Thanks ricky that was helpful

·
Registered
917 Posts
Remember it's only a car. Also find some way to practice your driving skills. Watch NASCAR road coarse races and see how they did it. Tires, even air pressure, will make a difference depending on road surface. You have to find where you, the car and your skills have their limit.
DO NOT use wheel spacers and use good lug nuts and (I prefer, ARP wheel studs) wheel studs. Use metal valve stems, they can and will blow rubber ones out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 07 Crossfire that I have taken to a few autocross events and a local SCCA training day. That's what got me hooked. Probably should just stick with the Crossfire, but I like the feel of a bigger car with a v-8 running through the curves.
Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
307 Posts
Watch some of the old 65-66 Galaxies in nascar that they put on the road race courses and you might change your mind.😃
There is a great documentary out there, cant remember the name.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Different tech different times for sure.
Same 4000lb 20ft car on a road course.
Will Talladega is the prefect example. In 1970 with a Dodge 426 Hemi and those suspension, and tires they broke into the 200MPH. In 1987 Elliott set the record with the same weight car at 212 MPH and a 351C style engine. Less HP/TQ but better technology.
Most SCCA races aren't about aerodynamics, but driver skills and how much better you prep your ride. Nice thing about a 4000 lb car, doesn't take anything to start removing weight. Seats, padding, AC, etc, etc, etc. Heavy frame and lower center of gravity makes it much better for cornering to.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think autoX this car would be fun if set up properly. It's all subjective. You're not going to beat a Miata fully spec'd out for autoX, but it doesn't mean you won't post a good time, turn some heads, and have a crap ton of fun.

These Goodwood races in the UK for classic cars are great examples of what these big old American cars can do against their smaller, more nimble European counterparts
Goodwood 2020

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to be the fastest time, just wanting to have fun. My brother and I have gone and raced a couple of times and had a lot of fun. He' building a 79 Roadrunner. I was looking at a few cars to build up, when he asked if I wanted to go around the track in a little 4 cylinder or a big V8 car. The choice is obvious. The body is off the frame of the Galaxie, so it's the perfect time to set up the suspension.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I built and raced a high strung 4 cyl turbo Volvo in Targa Newfoundland a few years back (with many Ford parts on it, btw) and I had serious car-envy for the guys running V8s. The twisty parts were great for us, but we just ran out of wind on the longer sections. I was all set to drop a 302 in it for the next season, including some hill climb events, but I wound up selling it to focus more on classic cars I could enjoy on the street. The build is honestly the best part ;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I built and raced a high strung 4 cyl turbo Volvo in Targa Newfoundland a few years back (with many Ford parts on it, btw) and I had serious car-envy for the guys running V8s. The twisty parts were great for us, but we just ran out of wind on the longer sections. I was all set to drop a 302 in it for the next season, including some hill climb events, but I wound up selling it to focus more on classic cars I could enjoy on the street. The build is honestly the best part ;)
At times it can be. My current project.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
OOOOOH! I thoroughly approve of that project!

·
Registered
92 Posts
1970? That's some nice work you did on her. It seems like it was sitting up way high on that trailer (front and rear), almost like a Gasser. What did you drop in it for engine/trans? These have always been a favorite of mine.

·
Registered
917 Posts
1970? That's some nice work you did on her. It seems like it was sitting up way high on that trailer (front and rear), almost like a Gasser. What did you drop in it for engine/trans? These have always been a favorite of mine.
68. I had her up on stands because the rear springs were broke and the fronts useless. she now has a 460 (10-1 comp, ported and blueprinted 460PI heads, Edel RPM Pref, 850 Holley, Accel Electoric ignition,roller rocker arms with 3/8" pushords, windage tray with oiling system improvements), C-4 Currie 9" with 3.50 posi and 31 spline forged steel axles. also a manual front disc brake conversion with braided brake lines. Heavy duty front springs with 1 1/8" sway bar in the front and beefier 5 leaf rear springs with a 3/4" sway bar with subframe connectors. An old Shelby road race trick was to weld the lower control arms for less flex and to reenforce the frame cross member.
We were actually building her for the "Silver State Classic" 90 mile road race, and the "Virginia City Hill Climb" they have here in Nevada. But wife got cold feet. We would have had to start in the 95MPH class and work our way up to the 140MPH class. I also have a set of 2.80 gears for her.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts