Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty good leak at the top corners of my 65 Mustang. The window gasket is pretty new but I guess the windshield installer didnt get enough goop in the corners. Anyone with suguestions on products or techniques to seal up winshields?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just did the weatherstripping on my girlfriend's '65 and after, I think it leaked worse than the original! The key here is clear silicone sealant, and lots of it. You must remove the outside trim to do this right. Just make a nice fat bead the whole way around the outside of the strip where it meets the body and then make another bead where the glass meets the strip. The trim should cover up both beads when you replace them (which are a real pain). Also, let the silicone dry for a few hours before you test for leaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is "winshield" RTV .. very thin fluid..

Remove outside trim .. and interior trim so you can contain RTV as it seeps through ..

slowly run RTV around the edge of the winshield "outside" where leak is .. it will run through so be sure to catch is as it does .. after it sets up, you may or may not need another quick dose.

darryl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Set your heat/a/c selector on outside air, set blower motor on high, close doors & windows, use soapy water around suspected leak area & bubbles will appear at source of leak. Simple Eh? Simple minded people like me find easy ways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts