Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
does anyone with a 64 gal have a bad rust problem under the bottom of the cowl?(behind the dash)
I just got this car about 4 months ago the guy said the windsheild leaked no prob. But got the new weatherstrip install first time it rained my floor boards were wet!
then i noticed around the fresh air vent on the drivers side was completely rusted out i act. grabed the vent and pulled it out with my hands vent rust and all.
I've looked everywhere and can't find any replacement parts
does any one know if they make these panels or do i need to make them myself?

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I'm not sure if they make those or not. You might have to find a donor car or someone on ebay selling parts off a 64 and emailing to see if they have it and willing to cut it off for you.
I could be wrong on a source for new though.

Deb

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
There are some parts that just don't get on the radar for replacement, a roof, windshield frame, firewalls, cowls (except 1st generation Mustangs). There just isn't any money in it.

I agree with shotrod64, that is going to be a donor car part. If you are not concerned with 100% restoration, seems to me that a guy could get a piece of sheet metal, some aviation shears and come up with something that might work...?

·
Registered
303 Posts
i hate to recommend it but i had the same problem with a 66 fairlane. if you have a wire welder and alot of guts you can cut the top of the cowl, get inside there enough to blast it and either weld it up or as in my case make your own cowls. then weld the cowl cover back on.

not impossable but fair warning, it's frustrating unless your really talented, which i am not. it did work though.

i may be wrong (can't remember for sure) but thought autokrafters made replacement cowls for 66/67 fairlanes. if so maybe they will interchange enough for you make it work.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There's an internet video link out here somewhere that show's how to fix that same problem on a mustang and you follow the same proceedure for the Gal. Just have to find the link....

FE

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The only replacment cowls I have seen...not that there may not be others, I'm just talking about what I seen... are for the early Mustangs. I assume they are cost effective, what with the popularity and return on investment costs - if you sucessfully complete the car.

A beater Mustang, once brought back to restored original is still in the $15K - $20K, range, so its worth it. Even better if its a fastback or convertible.

I don't see Galaxies in that range, yet. I still see really nice galaxies going for less than $10K, after they have been fixed up. The thing about Big Fords, unless they are 427, 4-speed or 428 / 7 litre, factory documented, is the prices are not reflective of the effort spent to rescue one.

At some point you have to recognize that either you start out with a really sound body or realize you will never get even the traditional 50% of what it took to get the car running. More than most - Galaxies are a car you buy to keep, rather than one you expect to make money on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts