Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to attempt to change my spring perches, i know it is very dangerous, i will try and do it without taking the coils out, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Do not attempt to change perches without taking the springs out. The coils could rip a whole in your chest if it lets lose. Get a good spring compressor and it will take 1/2 hour longer per side. Don't play with your life or anyone around you, not worth it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Just wondering how the heck you'd do it with the spring in place anyway? Spring at 600lb.ft. of pressure sits on the perch...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't risk it. Use a spring compressor, unless you don't mind a gaping hole through your chest. Try to use the internal compressor intead of the external hooks. I don't refer to them as suicide compressors for nothing, but something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I use the Blue-Point (Snap-On) compressor that has two hook type arms and a steel fork that slides into the spring.

When I put the Falcon front end together it worked real well, I had to put some thick washers on the threaded rod part to make it compress to the right lenth.

It did end up sliding off my my slippery painted springs,it made a hellava loud bang and hit me in the hand!

It took about 20 minutes to get some feeling back in my hand after the spring hit it,but it was ok after that little accident.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Impossible project without a spring compressor ...

With the spring fully compressed it may be possible to change the perch without completely removing the spring.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys thanks. so im looking at the coils and they were too stiff, so when it bottomed out it binded the top coil! this ever happen to anyone?
so where do i find 66 fairlane coils that are ready to put in, but i need em 3 inches lowered but never bottom out! any suggestions? DANGIT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts