Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did, the only difference I had was the pistons and intake manifold. I drove the engine around with a stock converter, and 3:00 gears. At first I had a 600cfm edelbrock carb on it, then I went to a 750 vac secondary, It liked the bigger carb for sure. The car had a lot of lope to it, with 108 degree lobe sep the cam had more lope than with say 112 deg. But the engine had a ton of midrange umph. I still have the engine, the only difference now is that I have a set of AFR 165 heads on it. I have got the car to idle at about 800rpm in gear, and it sounds great, now with a 3000 rpm converter, and a locked 4.11 gears, the thing is a blast to drive in town, it never overheats, and gets driven daily in the summer. The car the engine is in is a '77 mustang II, I'm using the stock radiator, a c4 trans, 2 1/2 exhaust, exc... a great engine build if you ask me.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just one note about that engine buildup. I talked to Joe Sherman about the combo when the article first came out and he said the engine was actually 10 1/2 to 1 compression not 9.54 like it says in the article.He also strongly recommended the 1 3/4 headers which are a little bigger than your average small block header designed for the older fords.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts