Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums. Searched the interweb. Searched the googles. I have seen endless post about wheels, tires, backspacing, offset, etc. I have seen 61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68.
I have not seen any definative answers.

So, first question -

1. Is anyone on this forum currently drag racing a 1966 galaxie?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry, this isn't a 66 but you might find it interesting.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 7 litre, Yes sir, I have read that post. Pretty nice project he has. I am trying to stay more nostalgic. I enjoy watching everything from factory cars to top fuel drags. But, I just have a better appreciation for the racers of the past.
I basically want someone with real world experience, that is still racing to talk with about making specific modifications, weight reduction, tire sizes, etc.
There is a lot of info out there but nothing like up to date knowledge right from the track/driver/mechanic.

I have some contacts that have been around these cars, fe engines, nascar, etc. But, most of those older gentlemen live a few hours away and, you either have to hope to find them at home/shop, or hope they still answer a land line. They love to talk shop but i still believe most will take some speed secrets to the grave.

Some will lead you with hints or tips/tricks, and help you anyway they can, some hoard parts like prizes that cant be bought, but most like to share stories like...

A pair of brothers in N.C. that raced told me they had a rivalry across town, with the same car and set up. They figured out he had a little taller gear, so they went and "borrowed" his one night and let him borrow theirs for the race that weekend. They decided to place a large bet on the race.
Needless to say he was mad when they won and had to pay, then they were laughing so hard, that they decided they had to tell him.

Hopefully someone will chime in. Thanks again

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes sorry I couldn't be of more help. That said I hope you find the answers your looking for, and if you do please share them here!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i am the owner of the 67 custom, and before i tubbed it i purchased a tire back space tool and i was able to put a wider tire under it but only a couple inches the gals dont have allot of room in that rear fender well i put a 235/60/15 and a rim i went back in my email and it is
CRR-3305812
Chrome, 15 in. x 8 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 3.75 in. Backspace, but i can tell you NOT ALL GALS ARE THE SAME so buy the tool its like 40.00 bucks and you will know for sure and you will be the resident expert in your area here is a you tube link to my car if your interested it is now finally complete my engine came from a f250 and needed changed over to a car application it had a oil cooler and other stuff that i wasnt needing ,if you have and questions that i can assit you with in your build hit me up

·
Registered
147 Posts
just to chime back in but what type of drag racing, bracket, door car, pro mod, eliminator, fact stock its all different especially the faster you go there is different rules, i been racing and building cars for 30 plus years one thing that it very common is the money you going to spend

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taylorteam and other guys, thanks for chiming in. Im sure with your experience, you could be of much help. I also welcome any and all advice.
Like i said, I have always enjoyed all types of drag racing, but...
All the hype lately with the tv shows and talk around tracks about "real street racers" that have 900 inch engines with 5 kits of nitrous, has kinda rubbed me wrong. Not dogging them out, but i wouldnt call those "street cars" , I just have respect for the guys, years ago that bought an old car, cut weight where they could, added a few h.p. with what was available swapping or speed shops and beating the guy from the next town over and still drove to work or school. Im not new to the car restoration or racing, just never been down a track, and i know its a different world. Basically, with all of the rules and classes, i just need some direction as to where my car and myself will fit in.

Just to give you an idea of where im
starting, 1966 galaxie 500, got it stripped down now for paint, etc. Cutting weight where i can, without totally changing what it is. 390 stroked to 451, C6 - 2800 stall, 3.00 rear ratio but will be changing that, but wanna run it before deciding what to jump to. Fiberglass hood, stripped interior and alum dash, etc. , researching rims and tires/sizes, thinking 275/60/15 rear, 26/5/17 up front. Any and All advice Welcome.
Been restoring / rebuilding cars,trucks, bikes since i was a teen, but I still have an open mind for learning.

I tell people if your Pride is bigger than your Problem, well maybe thats your Problem. Thanks for any help or advice

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, for anyone searching or wondering.
Borrowed a set of old "bullet hole" rims 15x8 with 4 inch back spacing and my local shop had a set of 275/60/15 sitting on shelf since 2003 (not going to run them on road).
1966 galaxie 500 xl
no suspension mods
They fit no problem
They are closer to front of fender on driver side, and sticking out further on driver side due to axle . This can and will all be fixed with adjustable pan hard bar, some adjustments, and some new suspension parts, etc

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of starting a new build thread, i figured i would just continue posting on this one.
Not as nice as some other builds i have seen but i figured any info is better than no info. I also hope that i inspire someone to try something they normally wouldnt.
I started with a 1966 galaxie 500, not sure of trim level, XL i think. It was originally light blue met. Dark blue interior. 352 with fx med case.
It also had 20" cobra rims when i got it
Not bad, but not for me.
Body had been started but...

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a set of 17" mustang rims to see what they looked like. Not bad but had to use spacers, which i dont like. Started to put engine together, going off what previous owner said, but found cracked #1 cyl. So i bought a donor 73 f250 with 390/C6

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As usual, it started an avalanche. If i have to do this, then i "need" to do that.
Pulled it down to shop, built some cribs and tore it all apart to start body work. Engine went to machine shop, Trans weny for rebuild.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Body was sanded all the way back down for Epoxy, 2k high build, epoxy sealer, base and 3 coats clear, wet blocked down with 800 and 4 more med. wet coats of clear. After painting, i wanted to see how much meat would fit under rear fender 275/60/15 fits just fine, no mods

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting on trans, engine, so starting on changing a few things. Dropping weight and making improvements where i think are needed. I got a thunder bolt hood. Started on dash, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts