Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for input from fellow members who have/have had their trucks equipped (stock or not) with the 351 Cleveland engine. Are there any good experiences with it?, thanks (I ask since I could get a hold of one real cheap for an engine swap).

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Actually, the clevelnad was never an option in US trucks. The clevo cousins, 351m and 400 were, and were fine engines, although they wereent exactly fuel friendly, or performance minded. That was mostly due to the emissions standards the engines were forced to run under.

AS far as a true cleve in a truck, it'd do just fine. In fact, if I remember correctly, Austrailian trucks were equiped with clevelands stock.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Back in 93' my dad and I did the swap from a 351M to a 351C on a 77' f-250 4x4. The swap wasn't too hard, everything pretty much lined up the only thing we had to really change was the bellhousing. As the C uses a sbf type. The truck was equipped with a small RV cam, Edelbrock Performer intake and headers. While I'm not much for the modifieds anyhow the C performed better, it revved up much easier than the M did. However it didn't provide the low end torque we were looing for, so it didn't last long in the truck, As we eventually swapped it out for an FE. But depending on what you want it to do, the C might just be what your looking for. We were moving a 3/4 ton 4x4 that was constantly loaded so we were not really looking to go fast, just haul a lot.

I personally like Clevelands. Some people swear them and some people swear by them.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
ranchero...it was a cruck...or was it a cark?

Had an '82 El Camino once. Sorriest excuse for a truck/car I've ever seen. 3.8 Chevy V6 had just enough power to do 70 on flat ground flat out, 75 going down hill. It wasn't safe to drive on the freeway unless it was all downhill. I rolled it on a mountainous back road, drove it for another couple years while I saved the money for the Ranger (best truck I ever had...miss that thing) then drive the El Camino directly to the crusher. I actually got more for it from the crusher than what I paid for it.

Rancheros are neat. Always did like 'em.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 8/12/04 10:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've had a couple 351Cs in various 73-79 two wheel drive pickups. They were all swapped out from a 300 or 302, so pretty much a bolt in.

The way I see it, anything you have a 302 in, the 351C will do better, and on a stock engine, milage is about the same, if not slightly better (in a heavy truck).

The last one I built was actually a 351M that got turned into a 408, which has more power then any 351C I've played with thus far, but it's nowhere near a stock engine either. It would take a pretty healthy 4bbl Cleveland to get what I have now, and still not have the bottom end. I like the 4 inch stroke from the 400s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yah, I have one in my 1967 stepside F-100 with an AOD behind it. Lot's of fun, incredible power. 0-60 in under 5 seconds with just headers, mild cam, x-cellerator intake, and 4V valves in 2V heads. Currently restoring the truck from the frame up but it was fun when it was running.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I put one in my Ranger XLT and I loved it. It would pull my enclosed right on down the road no problems totally stock, and this was a huge truck, extended cab loooong box.
The truck was yellow and people called it "The Bus"

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I had a 351C in my '81 F100. Replaced the 302. Pretty much a bolt in after you get the right oil pan. I used Blackjack headers. It's been a few years ago. The Cleveland worked great. After the truck deteriorated beyond the point of repair(rust) the motor ended up in a fishing boat. The Cleveland really pulled good.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had a 73 2 bbl motor in a 77 F150 and it ran great,had 149,000 miles on it when I installed it and I put about another 75,000 on it when I sold it and I seen it around about 5 years after I sold it and would like to have that motor back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yah, I have one in my 1967 stepside F-100 with an AOD behind it. Lot's of fun, incredible power. 0-60 in under 5 seconds with just headers, mild cam, x-cellerator intake, and 4V valves in 2V heads. Currently restoring the truck from the frame up but it was fun when it was running.
I have 67 f100, can you tell me what motor mounts you used for the 351 Cleveland?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 73 2 bbl motor in a 77 F150 and it ran great,had 149,000 miles on it when I installed it and I put about another 75,000 on it when I sold it and I seen it around about 5 years after I sold it and would like to have that motor back.
what displacement was the 2bbl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts