Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has a 351c with a c6 (but im switching to c4) and im trying to figure out what gears it comes with. im fixing up for street use but not a daily driver, my goal is to have a decent 1/4 mile time(low 14). and im thinking wether to leave the gears alone or change. theres this guy i know thats selling some 4:11(from "zoom products&quot
gears for a 8" rear end(62-72 mustang), but i dont know if these gears are better than the ones i already have,and i dont know what size rear end i have either.what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
All probability you have a 9" not an 8". Most common gears for the cars were 3.00 or 3.25, 8" or 9". If the axle code on the data plate is a number then it is an open rear....a letter signifies track-loc.

If you get the tag info off the pumkin, you can tell what gear and size.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
3.25:1 seems to be far and away the most popular in these cars.

You could also use the old "count the turns on the drive shaft compared to one turn of the tire". This can be a very accurate and failproof method of determining a ratio.

Using this method even if a tag has been changed or the gears have been changed they can't hide what they are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i will look for the numbers and post them asap. so what do you guys think of my goal(time at 1/4 mile) is it reasonable?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got the info from the drivers door, im not going to post all of it,just what i think is significant to the topic,here it goes:

MFD By Ford Motor Co.
Date:12/71 GVWR 3958
GAWR:Front 1922 Rear 2036
Trans:1 Axle:6 DSO:25

what does all this mean?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Easy....

GVWR is the maximum weight of the car, fully loaded with passengers, luggage and fuel etc. GAWR front and rear add up to GVWR.

Trans: transmission, 3-speed manual
Axle: 3.00:1 open (non-locking) rear ratio
DSO: Richmond, no state given

Get yourself a copy of the "Mustang Recognition Guide" which is the mustang owners ID bible. Costs about $15 from your mustang supplier. It'll take away alot of the guesswork on things like this.....

All 71-73 351 Cleveland cars, 2v or 4v came with a 9" rear. Only the 6's and 302 cars had an 8" rear. ID for a 9 is simple. If you cannot get a deep socket on the bottom two carrier studs on the center section, it's a 9" The pinion housing drops down in front of these studs, and precludes the use of a ratchet on them.

Why don't you post all the info on the tag, then I can give you a complete ID of your car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 5/14/02 10:22am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts