Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have been searching and reading and waiting for the definitive info on this subject for years and so far --- nada. All I have been able to figure is our Galaxies have dropped a couple of inches over the years and we like it. When somebody buys "stock" springs they boost frame back up and everyone hates the look.

If I may speak for all of us 65'ers, we are looking for a spring that keeps us 2012 low, or even lower, and is a little thicker so we get less "sproiiing" on the bumps. Front and back. If you find the magic elixir, please, please, post it here!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks like nobody wants to provide a detailed/useful answer. I have the book you seek but I am 3000 miles away just now. Usually there are many springs listed for the various applications. I can confirm for you in about a week.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need to fight guys. It took me a few days but I think I have the answer. Inline 6 with flywheel and manifolds weighs 560lbs, (from Inline6 website), Guess what else weighs 560lbs, yup a 390. So I do appreciate this info and will plan my build accordingly. Obvoiusly since the weight is the same it would only stand to reason that the springs would be the same. Will post pics as I build. Thanx

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
I have been searching and reading and waiting for the definitive info on this subject for years and so far --- nada. All I have been able to figure is our Galaxies have dropped a couple of inches over the years and we like it. When somebody buys "stock" springs they boost frame back up and everyone hates the look.

If I may speak for all of us 65'ers, we are looking for a spring that keeps us 2012 low, or even lower, and is a little thicker so we get less "sproiiing" on the bumps. Front and back. If you find the magic elixir, please, please, post it here!
Funny how that has happened. And in the 50s i think it was the front needed to be high and the tail dragging, then 60/70s tail up, the higher the better and now it's both depending on age and what you're driving and sometimes both at the same time on the ground! lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
TIMLILJE

Think I found the mother lode of information on front coil springs.

Need to know the body style code and production date. You said its a 6 cylinder. I can look up based on this information.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This chart lists 26 different coil springs for the 1965 Ford.

There is a front spring application chart that has 20 pages based on body style code, engine and production date.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
This chart lists 26 different coil springs for the 1965 Ford.

There is a front spring application chart that has 20 pages based on body style code, engine and production date.
That's the point I was trying to make in post 5 before the shouting started.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TIMLILJE

The other chart is a list of the 26 springs that are used in all 65 models.

This chart shows the springs listed for the Custom 4 door body style 54E and the Custom 500 4 door body style 62E. There is a before 11/23/64 and from 11/23/64.

Looks like Ford went to heavier springs after 11/23/64

If you can't see the fine print send my your email-id and I'll email this to you. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Looks like nobody wants to provide a detailed/useful answer. I have the book you seek but I am 3000 miles away just now. Usually there are many springs listed for the various applications. I can confirm for you in about a week.

That Chart is going to do nothing for him. The parts stores don't have a listing but for a full size and station wagon. You get TWO choices in everyone's parts book for replacements.

Which is why I suggested that he take a look at a spring manufacturing company and see what they offer. All he needs to know is there. Places like W.B. Jones Spring Company:springs manufacturer, coil, compression, torsion, extension springs Or Springs Torsion, Extension, Compression, Precision, and Clock Springs
Or even call MOOG themselves... They sell a large variety.

There is a Formula for the spring, the GVW front and Rear, and the desired ride height.

I really hope you find what you need, and I wasn't trying to put off Lars, I just thought the question had simple solutions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much guys. I've beel lookin' for a while. Body is 54E, 4dr 240 auto trans, man steer, man brakes, mfg 1 march 1965. I see the ford number (C5AZ 5319-D, Pink) and have looked at the specs. Will be lookin around at the sites FE posted. All good info. THANX

·
Registered
345 Posts
The web sites you listed are for companies that do large production runs, not custom automotive work.
There are sources besides the auto parts stores.
Eaton Detroit claims to have the factory drawings. If this is true, then you would only need the Ford part number. The specs are shown in post 11, just difficult to read.

That Chart is going to do nothing for him. The parts stores don't have a listing but for a full size and station wagon. You get TWO choices in everyone's parts book for replacements.

Which is why I suggested that he take a look at a spring manufacturing company and see what they offer. All he needs to know is there. Places like W.B. Jones Spring Company:springs manufacturer, coil, compression, torsion, extension springs Or Springs Torsion, Extension, Compression, Precision, and Clock Springs
Or even call MOOG themselves... They sell a large variety.

There is a Formula for the spring, the GVW front and Rear, and the desired ride height.

I really hope you find what you need, and I wasn't trying to put off Lars, I just thought the question had simple solutions.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm sure you probably just mistyped a 9 by mistake, but that p/n should be 5310 which is the basic number for front spring. Just wanted to mention that before you head off on your search. :)
. I see the ford number (C5AZ 5319-D, Pink) and have looked at the specs. Will be lookin around at the sites FE posted. All good info. THANX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts