Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Anyone else ever dealt with american powertrain?

10K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Denny..G 
#1 ·
This is my first buy from this company and I am uterly disgusted so far from my stand point. I am getting sick and tired of the lies and bs. I bought a full kit from them as some know to do a magnum swap into a galaxie. Week 2 is when they said I would have my transmission. So by week 3 I asked them where it was. Common response was its on backorder but we have everything else. I said cool send me what you have. Mind you I paid about 5500 bucks for this full installation kit ie: hydraulic swap kit, full installation kit, the trans, clutch kit, etc basically everything back of motor to rearend. They said they would send everything else and all I recieve today is a small box, with a new clutch, hydraulic bearing only, and few mounting things. Needless to say im pissed at the service that all over the net all I find is praise. I dont like being lied and now we are going on to week 4 still no transmission and i didnt recieve hydraulic kit, shifter kit, or bellhousing. Am I wrong to feel this way?

#4 ·
Maybe you will be ok if they are well known. Most dealers in partswait till they get your money, then order what you want to keep from useing their cash. Also they donot have to stock stuff on their shelves to just tie up their money. That is advantage of not ordering from a big company in some cases I would think.

#5 ·
Agreed thats what I would do to reduce overstocking my shelves as well, but the lies, even if they are small, and just a lot of little things, not calling me back like they say they will, Now if I owned the company I would not give people a date of 2 weeks if I couldnt possibly stick to it, It would have been different if they said it will take 4 weeks, no this guy straight out was like, I promise in 2 weeks I will have the transmission. This company also rated high on customer service by everyone else I have ran across. It is just all very unsettling when you spend that kind of money on something and cant physically touch it or see it or know if these guys are bs'ing or really just swamped.

#6 ·
Start doing all your communications is writing. Very simple and specific questions to get very specific answers. Exact dates, tracking numbers, method of full refund if backorder is longer than X days, etc. Or, you may get obvious BS answers, but it's one or the other that way, and obvious to everyone.

Begin writing questions to the TV shows or magazines that praised them. "You recommended this company and I am getting poor service. Can you help?" And often they can. They do not want to see their company smeared because of another that they praised.

Anyway, set your own personal limits of time or frustration, be prepared to ship the stuff you got back (with an RMA number) for a refund. Most of all, do not let it rest. Set your limits, get satisfaction, or get out of it. It's your money, and it's up to you. Good luck!

David

#9 ·
I think PSIG has made some excellent points. Before it comes to threats or attacks, you need to communicate with the owner as you suggest and set expectations. Once you go down the road of introducing third parties, you can expect nothing from them.

Decide what you want: your money back or the parts you ordered - and pick one. Set a time frame for delivery. If it is your money back, they will most likely want the parts back first. Get the RMa and send it with signature confirmation. If you want the parts have them tell you when they can have them. Don't accept anything less than a specific date on the calendar. If the date they give you doesn't work for you, then back to demanding your a refund.

If you paid by credit card, I would consider contacting them to at minimum start a documenting a history so you can be ready to take action if necessary. Likewise if you paid with PayPal since there is a limited window in which you can open a case.

Good luck and hopefully you can work things out with the company.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

#8 ·
I think we do however my first thought was to get onto there facebook page and slam them there until my issue gets resolved.....What a better place than where all their soon to be customers go to see what kind of a company they are. I think if it was a little bit longer and If I have already talked to the main guy with no results then I would contact the news, Untill then on monday I am going to call talk to the owner, then we will see where we go from there! Great idea contacting the television show about their sponsers!

#10 ·
It is big money but really they are only one or two weeks late. Do you have any paper with their promises on it? I would not do anything rash now if you don't.

#11 ·
I agree that this should be done in steps, obviously monday I will do step one of asking in writting for a specific date. Question lies do I ask the original sales rep who never calls me back, A guy I always have to check up on or do I go straight to the owner who probably doesnt even know there is an issue yet? I hate to go over peoples heads but I just dont want the same results I have been getting. Honestly I want the parts, what I have gotten looks like quality parts, I just hate being lied to about dates of shipment, When I owned a business a couple years back, people held me to dates or they found someone else, when I was in the military, if you were late by 1 min, well I guess you could imagine. So I try to expect the same from everyone else, a sense of time shoudnt be that hard, I would expect this company would change its tune if they agreed to free overnight shipping if the date of promised shipment wasnt fullfilled. That would cost them tons of money as the box weighs close to 200 lbs with all the stuff lol.

#12 ·
In dealing with people, one of the most important lessons I learned was to set expectations. Call your rep. If you have to leave a message for him, express that the current situation is unacceptable and that you expect a call back by Wednesday with an action plan and firm dates. And, let him know that if he can't provide that, or the timeline that is set is not acceptable, you will be moving up the food chain to someone who can deliver what you want.

If it comes down to you having to speak with the owner and he is unwilling to correct the situation, at that point, again set his expectations. Let him know that your decision to purchase was based upon their exposure on sows like Gearz and you will be contacting them about your situation, as well as pursuing other avenues until your order is filled, or your money refunded in full.

Again, good luck!

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

#13 ·
Damn, now you have me worried as I was thinking of putting a big order through with these guys in the next month or so, but I do believe they will come through for you soon, they are probably waiting on some of the stuff to come in so they might be in the same boat with their suppliers giving them unrealistic supply dates. It happens but then they should really just tell you that.

#14 ·
I sure hope so as I have heard way to many horror stories with auto parts suppliers, really it is sad that these companies can even sell something they dont physically have on hand, it is like me telling them I will paint their house or something, get paid then never go do it. Really just cant wait for this experience to be over and be enjoying the car, good weather and spring car shows are coming up and I havent even started on it minus the removal lol!

#17 ·
Joe the problem you may have now is receiving part of the shipment, It is like dealing with a insurance company, never take a partial payment. It makes it much easier to prove they are not dealing in good faith. How much time is reasonable is something only you can decide. Good luck on your quest.

#18 ·
I talked with them this morning came up with some arrangments. I later got a call back from the sales rep who was disappointed that I was upset with the service after his boss located my postings online(he must watch it like a hawk!). We discussed the issues, came up with some solutions....a plan is in place I will let everyone know how it goes after this.

#19 · (Edited)
I was hoping I was an isolated incident. I had a similar issue with them.

On a side note, fordmanjoe, if you have questions about their bracketry setup for their MC. I modified their setup. And if your putting a T56 behind a FE, you may need a spacer between the bellhousing and tranny. PM me if/when you have questions.

#20 ·
I am getting pretty frustrated with them as well, here is my story.
I called them trying to get a clutch set up for our 69 Galaxie, the guy says "we have done lots of 69 galaxies I have the kit for you" So excited I order it. Once it arrives I realize there is no Billet reservoir which I paid extra for. So I call them and they said it was out of stock when I ordered but it will ship out now that it’s in stock. Next I go to install the kit; it won’t even come close to fitting so I call them again. After some discussion they are like "oh, it sounds like your clutch linkage is more like a 71-73 mustang, we have a different kit for those, it costs a little more though" I thought they had done lots of 69's.
So the plan is they are going to email me pictures of the mustang set up but guess what? No email ever came. So I start looking at what I can do to make parts of the kit work. After looking everything over I figure out a way to fabricate my own mounting and pedal attachment so I call them back. I tell them I have figured out a way to fabricate a set up and told them I would consider sharing prints and pictures (I am a engineer with access to CAD) to help the other 69/70 owners, they seem ho-hum interested. Next I tell them I want to return the adjustable mounting bracket and hardware, this kit sells for $189 on the website so I ask for a $189 refund, after back and forth several times they will only agree to a $160 refund plus I pay the return shipping. At this point I remind him I still have not received the reservoir.
So I figure $160 is better than nothing so I ship it back. I hear nothing from them so I call again, they tell me they did receive it but the bracket had a very small paint chip in it. I tell them it came like that to me (it did by the way) they say that’s an $8 chip so now the refund is $152, WTF? I say whatever, just do it, and then remind them I am still patiently waiting on my reservoir. He says he will check on it now and comes back with information saying it slipped thru the cracks but it is shipping today.
So here I am another week later and still no reservoir, I call again, he is shocked I still don’t have it but it’s too late on Friday to check, I am supposed to call back on Monday.
I am now frustrated to the point that I no longer think I should share my setup with them. To hell with them, I will just let them piss off another customer with a 69/70. Not that a person would need them to make my setup work, a guy could source the parts from summit for less and couple it with my parts for way less, I am sure they would end up selling it for $600-700 and it could be done for $300 easy. I am so frustrated that I don’t even know if I would sell them my design, what would you guys do?
That’s my frustration with this company. Will let you know when this all gets resolved.

#21 ·
Patent it and have it produced and compete with them. Obviously they don't deserve our business. JMHO

#22 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Communication with this company goes a long way. Dont talk to the sales reps...ask to speak with grey frederick..he is the owner and will do everything in his power to keep customers happy. I think a few of the sales people are overwhelmed and they need more help in that department.. Also, as i did...ordering during the spring/summer is their busy time...alot of people trying to get/keep their cars on the road. You will not be disappointed with the product or service after you recieve the product. I had a slight noise in the trans after using it for a few months..they paid for shipping to them and back to me and it just ended up needed the front bearing shimmed. Wouldnt hurt anything just had extra play that made some noise in certain rpms, something the factory missed when assembling. They will take care of you and their is alot to be said about that! Not to mention the products thry make are quality...i love the shifter that can be clocked to any position to fit multiple shifter holes. It is a short throw and operates smoothly..the clutches are decent and the kit was easy to assemble and had everything. Time is all they need.

#29 ·
Communication with this company goes a long way. Dont talk to the sales reps...ask to speak with grey frederick..he is the owner and will do everything in his power to keep customers happy.

Do you happen to have contact information (email) for This Grey Fredrick? This company just continues to dissapoint me over and over. I could write a novel here about the going ons but whats the point? I spent another $750 on new clutch and flywheel by their recomendation and I still have the same problems. They dont return calls, their warranty sucks, they dont respond to emails, it just goes on and on, wrong parts shipped, right ones still not shipped. I'm done, I wish I never heard about them. I would be over a $1000 richer if I would have went with a different set up. The $350 Mcleod TO bearing is looking pretty attractive right now.

OK, sorry, I'm done with my Rant, just putting this out there so others wont follow my painful path.

#24 ·
Well I hope you are right, at the end of the day I feel like I overpaid them for my stuff, I guess what I paid would be OK if it was a well thought out kit but I had to fabricate all my mounting. I do like the throwout bearing, it appears to be a nice piece. Will let everyone know when everything arrives and it is working.

#25 ·
Called them again yesterday, he said he would check today, told me to email him as a reminder. He emailed back and said it had not been shipped but was getting it out today, I asked for express shipping, says they sent it 2nd day, with any luck it will be here thursday and we can finally test the clutch operation.

#26 ·
Please pardon the interruption from a Chevy guy. But, saw your discussion and had to share my experience dealing with these guys when I bought a T56 magnum for my 66 chevelle. I ordered their lightning shifter with the tranny. The white lightning did not come with the tranny. Really got the run-a-round getting it. Once I got it, the darn thing leaked. Got another one and it leaked too. Finally ordered a shifter from Red Roberts in California. Worked great, no leaks on the first try. Shifts better too. I wouldn't buy anything from them now. Red was very helpful and cooperative. I definitely would deal with him again.

#27 ·
Marketing strategy: "Sell 'em what they want; give 'em what we got!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.