Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy that i bought the car from told me I had factory rims on the car. They are definitely vintage 60s but I have never seen them on any other Ford (not on Torino's, Fairlanes, etc) - most Gals had simulated mags right? If anyone has any info on these I'd appreciate it. There's a link so you can view the rim. Who knows, maybe they aren't factory.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15616393716.jpg&s=f5

notice you can see the brake - these aren't simulated.

oops, i guess i should mention these are on a 1968 Ford XL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Last427 on 6/7/06 4:53am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
man, I'm no Galaxie expert but those are pretty interesting looking wheels. I guess that's some kind of cover held on there with set screws. can you get a close up of that logo on there? They don't seem factory to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikelonis on 6/7/06 8:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply! I can't get any info at all on these. It does in fact have a Ford logo in the center. Below is a pic (i zoomed in and rotated the previous photo). You are also right about the cover - its held on by the 5 little bolts and underneath that is the typical 5x4.5 bolt pattern on all other Gals. Everytime I cross a Ford guy at a show I ask em about them and they just look at em funny. I'll include a pic of the car itself.

Ford Galaxie Logo:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15623104791.jpg&s=f5

Full view of my car:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15623120826.jpg&s=f5

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
any chance theyre from a brazil/australia/other foreign ford plant? or maybe they were some one-off test pcs that wound up on a exec's car???look inside rear- there should be some cast logo/p-n info- I havent seen a lot of things. but these are definitely not anything Ive ever seen before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose they could be rims from another country but this car was ordered by a dealership in New York August of 68. Also, it is completely bare bones - no power steering, no power brakes, no ac, nothing - i doubt an exec would drive such a car, besides it has the base 302-2v engine so its pretty underpowered. I'm gonna go to the garage right now and check for any cast logo/p-n info and i'll get back to the board tonight. thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see cast logo on any of the 4 rims (then again i was just crawling on my back with a big flashlight in my hands). If they are in fact rare, then i should probably take em off of the car because i do drive it quite a bit. btw, I'm an Aussie Ford fanatic and i've never seen a picture of an aussie Ford with those tires. Which reminds me, i seriously think that the 1973 Aussie Ford Landau is the meanest looking car ever made.

-Nicholas

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Last427 on 6/7/06 11:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Should have a 68 ford part number right? Look for a C8 in the beginning of the number if found, meaning 68. Maybe even C8A for 68 full size.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
IIRC Ford only used the crest logo 1950/1964. In 1965 they started using the three lions logo.

They don't appear in my FOMOCO Illustrated Master Parts Catalog. Neither as a production part, nor an over the counter acsy.

IMHO: They are a very cleaver after market item.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
just guessing, but they look like a Studebaker wheel from the 60's...maybe from an Avanti.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If there is anything marked on the rims it will be between the bolt holes on the back side of the rim, there should be a stamp saying "Ford" cursive script, unless it''s not ford.....

FE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ray, these rims don't appear in your FOMOCO Illustrated Master Parts Catalog so something is really up. I ran the VIN number on the car when i first bought it and found out the car was built in a factory in Canada then shipped to New York. btw i was a little disappointed to find out my car hadn't been built in the U.S. Is it possible that a Canadian factory used varations on U.S. factory parts? I'll be surfing the internet for pictures of Studebakers rims, specifically Avanti to see if maybe they were made by that company. Later on, I'll see if i can pull off the rim and look behind for some kind of number. Thanks guys, I'm seriously dying to find out the truth about these rims, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
522 Posts
You may try removing a tire and looking @ the INside of the rim. They may be stamped there. Look for Ford or Kelsey Hayes.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have a pair of those wheels on the rear of my altered. They are 15" though, and placed on the car circa 1959 per past owner. Mine are not quite as shiney though, for the car has been outside and raced a few times.

Wm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
circa 1959? Mine are also 15" Do they have the Ford logo like mine?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
427, it's really sounding to me like you got a pair of really rare option wheels. If I were you I would take them off and look them all over real good for part #s and stamping and the like and tell us what you found. If they are as rare as I am thinking they are, it will be worth all the extra effort.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's what I'm gonna do: the car has to go into the shop anyway, so I'm gonna have the guys pull off the wheel and look for any information. I won't post anything under this board until I get the car back which could be days...but i will get back to it and post any numbers found. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took my car to the Ford Dealership (it needed some serious work on the brakes) anyway - as soon as the flatbed pulled the car into the shop, EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and came over to ask me about it. There is a mechanic there that works on all the old muscle cars (there was a BOSS 302 on a lift) and the first thing he was drawn to was my rims!! Apparently he had only ever seen them once on an old Ford Hot Rod back in the day - told me it was around maybe 1963 or 1964. I told him to pull the wheel off to see what he could find. I'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow - I owe them $800.00! - can you believe that!? jeez. This doesn't really clarify anything but I'd like to bump this post back to the top so others can see it too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts