Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The floor pan in my 63 is gone...i see AMD makes a direct replacement but i do not have the tools to replace the pan myself. Has anyone ever had theirs replaced at a shop? Mine is rusted from the toe panel to just before the trunk area. I'm not necessarily looking for a price you had to pay, but more so the hours quoted for the job.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
252 Posts
No I have never had a shop replace a floor board. I have seen many done bad, they want to overlap a piece in and use caulk sealent or seam sealer.
If done right its quite a job and wont be cheap. I would guesstimate a day for teardown, 4 days for cut out clean up and replacement, 2 days for prep/sealing/priming/painting, a day for reassembly.
So about a weeks labor = 40-60+ hours
And materials cost 2-3 grand

Thats IF its a pro shop, they have all the knowledgable labor they need, and the right tools, etc.

I would also guess it would take a regular shop a couple months to get it in and out, depending on how much they work on it.

It will have to be a custom/restoration shop which will drive cost up.
A regular body shop wont even touch it, they wouldnt know where to begin, they paint by numbers and bolt stuff on for insurance money.

I would think $5,000 is a low bid/bad job.
If i wanted to be assured it was done like i would want it, 10k easy and if done right a good price and you will never know it was done.

With the amount of work and time already being invested, you would be better off stripping car down for floor pan and total paint job, and whatever else needs addressing.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
No I have never had a shop replace a floor board. I have seen many done bad, they want to overlap a piece in and use caulk sealent or seam sealer.
If done right its quite a job and wont be cheap. I would guesstimate a day for teardown, 4 days for cut out clean up and replacement, 2 days for prep/sealing/priming/painting, a day for reassembly.
So about a weeks labor = 40-60+ hours
And materials cost 2-3 grand

Thats IF its a pro shop, they have all the knowledgable labor they need, and the right tools, etc.

I would also guess it would take a regular shop a couple months to get it in and out, depending on how much they work on it.

It will have to be a custom/restoration shop which will drive cost up.
A regular body shop wont even touch it, they wouldnt know where to begin, they paint by numbers and bolt stuff on for insurance money.

I would think $5,000 is a low bid/bad job.
If i wanted to be assured it was done like i would want it, 10k easy and if done right a good price and you will never know it was done.

With the amount of work and time already being invested, you would be better off stripping car down for floor pan and total paint job, and whatever else needs addressing.
+1 for sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
649 Posts
63 what? Galaxie, lots of fun there, Falcon, much easier. Galaxie has a full frame and probably would require lifting off the frame at best, due to frame and crossmembers. Falcon, not bad. All depends on how much you do yourself prior to them doing it.
If they have to pull seats and reinstall, paint, remove undercoating, etc, etc, etc. are you replacing the seat platforms or using the old ones. Another thing is what's under the floor that also has to be replaced?
Then there's the rust they find when they take it apart that no one knew about.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think the 40 to 60 hours is low, by the time you pull the body etc. then it not just the floor pan but every thing else you find rusted that needs to be replaced or fabricated.

I think any estimate of time is just a front door estimate, one that gets the car in the shop.

Expect to pay 2 or 3 times the amount of the original estimate. Rust is endless, I've seen cars scraped after the truth is known as to how much rust there was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the 40 to 60 hours is low, by the time you pull the body etc. then it not just the floor pan but every thing else you find rusted that needs to be replaced or fabricated.

I think any estimate of time is just a front door estimate, one that gets the car in the shop.

Expect to pay 2 or 3 times the amount of the original estimate. Rust is endless, I've seen cars scraped after the truth is known as to how much rust there was.

I did not see these replies until now, but this would be assuming that i bring the car to them with the body ready to remove, the interior is gutted, i would basically leave 2 or so body mounts on for transport but ready to zip off at the shop. I'd really like to attempt this myself but it seems to be too large of a job for a weekend hobbiest with limited tools

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
252 Posts
Stripped is fine, but leave doors and all body bolts on. They will need to weld/brace the car for it to be removed from the frame and put on a rotisserie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts