Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys pretty soon I'm going to purchase some front and rear poly control arm bushings for my 72 torino. The ones on my torino now are practicaly gone. First question is are they pretty easy to install? Did anyone notice any improvement in the handing of your car??

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
137 Posts
This will be one of the best changes you make to your Torino. I changed all of my suspension bushings two years ago and the car responds well. I actually allows you to take a corner agreesively.
The task is a bit daunting without the proper tools. I was fortunate enough to have a 20 Ton shop press in my garage. I would not have attempted the change without it. Some guys use a vise to press in the new bushings. I do not recommend this method. The best way is to press out the old and press in the new. There really is no easy way. I would also look into adding a larger front sway bar 1 1/8" and installing a rear sway bar. KYB shocks all around and these changes will make a big, big difference in the ride and handling of your Torino, guaranteed!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marzz22 on 12/2/06 4:36am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marzz22 on 12/2/06 4:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oh yes the polyurethane bushings help. Like marzz22 said, also invest in some front and rear sway bar.

A little tip on the rear sway bar, (if you decide to get one, if you can't find one for a 72-73) get one for a later 70's Cougar/Thunderbird. You can use 3 inch exhaust clamps to go around the axle to get the mounting perches. Ford uses the weld on frame and axle mounts on the Cougar/Thunderbird. I used 2 inch angle-iron (this was before I got a welder, but mine still work great) and cut 2-2" pieces off, rounded the corners, drilled holes, painted them. I used polyurethane sway bar end link and brackets. I have about 6 months on mine and it makes one heck of a difference, and as hard as i drive my '73 4-door Montego, it has held up great. Every now and then you can find these sway bars on eBay for $100-$200 (in junkyard condition!).

Oh, and for the front, (those who say only 429 Torino/Montego have them, thats BS) go to the same Cougar/Thunderbird and get the front. That is what I did with mine and it is an 1 1/8", I saw them for the 429 Torino/Montego on eBay when I was looking for mine and some guy wanted $300 for it because it came off of a 429 Montego. I went to the junkyard paid less than $10, went to AutoZone and got the brackets for $20, and the endlinks (get the heavy duty, they already come with polyurethane bushings and are about $8 each and come with everything) for less than $20. All-in-all I spent less than $50 for the same thing on eBay.

This WAS one of the best things I ever did to mine, oh and if you want a firmer, more stable ride; pick up some '96 Crown Victoria POLICE shocks while you are at AutoZone, make sure they are the Heavy Duty (trust me, they bolt up and fit like OE; the light duty shock numbers are the same for Crown Vic and Torino/Montego, but the Torino/Montego doesn't have a listing for a Heavy Duty shock). The best thing is, they are fairly cheap, and have a lifetime warranty, so if they wear out take them back and get new ones, free no questions asked.

Oh man, it is like night and day to when I bought the car, I am glad every day that I did this.

I hope you or somebody else can take some tips away fron this, Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I did all of the modifications that were noted in this book "how to make your ranchero handle" that i got off of some guys website. the swaybar was off of a '78 thunderbird with the big swaybar. when everything was done my '73 ranchero handled like it was on rails ! It really stuck the tires on the ground and made them work hard ! The book used a '72 ranchero but I think its all the same.... if you want ill send you the book fer free-

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
We installed the 72-73 Torino rear bushing kit on our 65 Galaxie.

The kit comes with every point for the control arms. Even the axle. (our 65 does not use them though) You replace the lowers completely with new shells. The upper you re-use your factory shells so take good care of them (no need to remove them at all). I am totally clueless as to the axle bushings.

While you have them out have them boxed.

Use FM's guide and all neccesary saftey tips and you'll do just fine!

2007 Torch Red Shelby GT500
2004 Marauder/2004 Cobra

A Jack of many trades, But not a master of a single one!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 12/11/06 4:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am using Bilstein Crown Vic "Police" shocks in my 78 Cougar... with the Poly bushings and 17" rims... they aren't exactly smooth.. You've been warned.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
can i ask,what about coil springs on all four corners?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had custom coils wound that are 1.5 inches shorter than stock. Same rate gave a firmer ride. This was done 12 years ago by a place in Kansas, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
can anyone explain where exactly the thrust washer is installed on the bushing assembly? the illustration given was confusing to me. and I too just got my bushing set from energy suspension, front and rear. i've only started on the rear lower control arms. i don't have a press, so i heated up the bushing and drove it out with an air hammer, worked nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts