Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread a while back about cheap paint jobs with rollers ect. Just wondering if anyone ever let a local high school tech school do body work and paint on their classic car? If so, how did it turn out. How long did it take them and how does it work? Do you give them the car and the parts and money? Do you have to live in that district?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Only if I wasn't picky.
I may let them paint a hunting truck but that's about it.
A classic car needs a better paint job.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had a professional paint shop do my wagon 2 weeks ago. The paint shop is owned by a friend and does a lot of top end cars, while mine was in he did a Lamborghini murciallargo and a 57 foose belair as well. Mine is in for another paint job on Monday at another shop as he ballsed mine up so bad it was embarrassing. It was 3 colours white, had runs and drips, he hadn't even flatted back any chips where I had removed trims just painted over it. I refused to pay and he kicked off and I think it's getting close to us meeting and sorting it out . So far I have paid $750 and the new paint shop is charging me $2,000 to put it right. What I don't understand is the roof , bonnet and front wings are excellent, the rest is crap.

this is after respray lol by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr

Drips and chips by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr

photo by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr

63 country sedan by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr
The moral of my story is don't let anyone touch your car even if he is a friend unless he gives you a written guarantee, there are too many bodging idiots out there :(

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
When getting your car painted you need to make up your mind on if you want a quick cheap job, middle of the road or a show job. Quick job--sand and paint.
Middle of the road--take out dents and paint
Show---take out dents, spend hours of blocking, paint and color sand and buff. Show will cost you 5 to 10K, depending on where you are located.
Have it understood before any work is done.
Paint and supplies are high now days and if you get a paint job for 1K to 3K don't expect a show quality job.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am confident in the new paint shop , I have been their glass guy for 5 years now and they are doing it as a job not a favour. I am inspecting each day to see how it's going, they say its at least 5 days work for 3 guys inc the owner. The paint shop that did the abortion you can see was 30 miles away and did it in a day .

·
Registered
131 Posts
The moral of my story is don't let anyone touch your car even if he is a friend unless he gives you a written guarantee, there are too many bodging idiots out there :(
That's just some awful paint work right there. I let my good friend paint my car, but he has an insane amount of pride in his work. I think if he let my car out of his shop looking like that he probably would have committed Seppuku on spot.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That wagon is horrible and I cant believe they gave it to you like that! I have gone through Macco with a few previous cars one being my 66 Ranchero that I had. I pulled some of the chrome and drove it there. They did a pretty good job and it was only $500 including body work! I saw a $1200 job that came from a different local Macco and it looked like a $250 presidents special. I could use a lil body work and paint on the wagon and wont have much to spend but I just want a driver quality job. A show job up here is $10K to $20K and the latter is some of the best work I ever seen around here.

Just to give an idea here is the Ranchero just before I sold it. The paint was on it 10 years at this point.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had my first car painted by my high school in the 70's. Cost of materials only. They did a pretty decent job.

They had a 2 year waiting list, but I lucked out because the teacher wanted to shown the students how to graft a partial hood over the hole that was under the huge 70's style snorkel scoop that I removed.

I had a lot of fun in that car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine does all the body work and removes or tapes trim, then takes them to MAACO. He said they bake it and the job is usually very nice.
As for expensive paint jobs, I am now over $14,000 on my 60 Plymouth Wagon. It is FINALLY in primer after 2 years. He had to practically fabricate the whole one quarter. There are no used quarters to be found. There were only 2000 made and who saved wagons? Now while he waits a week, he's polishing all my stainless and there is a lot on this old wagon. I'm running out of money at $75 an hour. He restores Corvettes but found everyone that sees my wagon can't wait to see it done. Now its a matter of pride to him. I ask about the cost and all he says is he can't cut corners on this because he knows everyone will be looking at his work. My thoughts are, if it means that much to him, then maybe he should start cutting me breaks for the advertising? This better look better than the other wagon mentioned in this thread.
ALWAYS try to find cars with no rust, even if it means paying a $1000+ to ship it to you. Pay now or PAY later.

·
Registered
420 Posts
One more vote for Maaco, and do the disassembly and rough work, or as much as you are comfortable handling yourself. They don't usually do top shelf body work, but they do a LOT of painting, and typically get a nice finish. I've had several experiences at a school, and they were all horrible. There are some good ones around though. Look at several projects at various stages before deciding.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wish we had a paint shop branch like that in England lol
I didn't even look for rust when I bought my wagon , I just saw it and paid .i didn't even test drive it or start it. I don't consider it to rusty I have only replaced 3 footwells lol.
The paint shop it's going into has just painted a Thames trader c.o.e and its pretty much perfect, mine is next ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts