Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some cheap wheels to mount a couple of drag radials on for my 68 Mustang.
Summit sells Aero wheels fairly cheap. I like the look for the price, however they seem to be for circle track racing.

I'm wondering how they'll work for drag racing.
I've emailed Aero and they're response was not very definitive; they said the wheels "..can also be used on asphalt".
Wheels on the rear for drag racing is more than just "on asphalt".

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had never heard of Bart or Bassett. I just googled them and they look exactly like Aero. Coincidence or the same company?

Also, what does "rolled edges", "spun formed", and "rolled form", "dirt safety bead bump" mean? And should I favor or stay away from any of these?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
rolled edges are a rolled lip at the edge of the rim almost like a tube around the lip spun formed and rolled formed is the process they use to make the outter ring or shell of the rim Bart makes about the best light weight stell rim for racing use I have ever used i think there right around 16 pounds .Keep in mind if your looking at a IMCA approved wheel they will be a mininum of 19 pounds, Bassett's standard wheel that looks chrome plated actually isnt it is a coating only and will eventually tarnish and look kinda cruddy. As far as being circle track only I dont see any reason they wouldnt work at drag racing other than most dirt tires are not balanced and the rim may not be a balanced piece as well but as far as strength think about what stresses a dirt wheel will go thru, getting hit , hitting the cushion hard enough to give you a neck ache and countless re mounting of tires about every 2 weeks during a racing season. I say go for it and look into Real Racing Wheels out of Independence Iowa they have great looking chrommie go fast wheels and were the only wheel manu. that didnt have a failure at the famous dirt race at Bristol speedway when they trucked in the dirt for one race there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts