Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has an aod in like a '65 mustang. I was also wondering if and aod can built built pretty tough . That would be my main concern . Because I am think of that or a t-5.

lowside

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, not a mustang but if you would consider a '64 Falcon Ranchero, YES. AOD's can be built strong, no problem there.However if you run a carb, get one from an early car WITH ALL the linkage to the carb AND ALL linkage to the shifter. Then cut out about half of the seat support for clearance, fabricate a new trans mount with emergency brake cable support, shorten the drive shaft, rig cooling lines, VERY CAREFULLY adjust the throtle pressure cable (so you don't burn it up in 10 miles) and ENJOY!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, they can be built very strong.

Some years were stronger fromt he factory than others.

The 92-93 AOD from 302/351W F150 trucks has the 2.75 low ratio HD planetary. This is the low ratio set that Ford Racing sells for the C-6. These also have a 2" wide OD band vs the 1.5" unit from other AOD's. Combine this with an "A" servo from a T-bird SC and it becomes as tough as you can get.

When you look for one of these make sure it isn't an AODE. They were also available as an option in 92-93. Easy to way to check is that the AODE has a button on the end of the gearshift for the electronic OD.

These truck trans were the last of the AOD"s and by then they had most of the bugs worked out. They are tough. About 3 months ago I sold my 92 F-150 w 302 and the HD AOD. I bought it new, Drove it 9+ years and 207K all purpose miles. The trans had fluid changes every 50K miles and it was still working like new with no problems at all.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you dont mind shifting I'd go with the T5. I have a T-5 in my '65 coupe, my brother has an AOD in his '68 coupe, the 1-2,3,4 shift pattern gets really annoying after awhile. A company called Lentech http://www.lentechautomatics.com, make modified valve bodies that change the shift pattern to 1,2,3 with pushbutton 4(od). He also makes really tough AOD's that he claims are stronger than a TH-400, his trannies are also rather pricey but I have only heard good things about them. If you do go AOD avoid buying one from TCI, my brother bought one from them and it was rebuilt inncorrectly and on top of that they refused to fix it unless he paid to ship it back to them(it turned out to be cheaper to fix it locally)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jimbo on 3/16/02 9:01am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts