Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I known it should be re built. The other day, I had the motor running as I do every other day or so... The motor after running a while started to spit and sputter and dided out. The fuel is trickeling into the barrel, and if it sits for a week or so, it's hard starting, as if there is no gas pressure in the bowl. The bottom gaskets need changing too.

I knew it should be rebuilt, and finding a kit was a difficult task. There is NO tag on the carb. After time, as I searched I came to the conclusion it's a Ford 1101. It SHOULD be a 1100 (Manual choke). Finding the motors numbers has determined it's a 1966 200ci. Most likely came from a falcon.

62, had no auto chokes. 66 they did... So, I found a rebuild kit, what I THINK will work with this carb. I have never re built a carb before, and Victor (whom is 70 yrs old) said he would give me a hand with the re build. BUT..

If I can find one, that is the era, and I know what model number it is, Manual would be prefered, but if it's auto, that would be okay too. As long as I know the model I should be able to find a re build kit for it. Not knowing, is frustrating. All whom looked at it agree it's a Ford carb. And, a few said it's a 1101. But we still don't know for sure.

It would be good to find a 1100 (manual choke), Ford from the year, but that may be impossible, and if I did, it would cost a fortune especially re built. Finding a re build kit, is impossible too. In my searches I found NO re build kits for a 1100, but did find tons of motor parts for a 1966 Falcon 200 I6, which the motor is, and it's a auto choke.

So, in a way thats good the first owner changed the motor, but not... Eh, 6 and 1/2 of the other I suppose.

So, thats my story and I'm sticking to it!... LOL... If anyone has one, and wants to let it go, Please let me know....

Thanks all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is not an easier rebuild in the entire world of carb rebuilding... Tackle it and replace your fuel pump while you're at it.
Changed the fuel pump way back as well as the Water pump, Radiator, all hoses (every single last one). Also did a valve job, gaskets and fixed the original horn. Videos are on you tube. Search for: MyGoingsOn

Hopefully, I have the right re build kit....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have several single barrel carbs both manual and automatic (Holly & Autolite) with correct tags, some are origunal in the box, some rebuilts and some to be rebuilt. I'm located in Canada (Montreal, Quebec area)
I have a automatic on the engine now. It works fine, but it would be nice to put a manual back on like it originally had. but, I don't know if that would be a good thing or not as the automatic works well.

I replaced the gaskets, and did a good cleaning (back then). If the price is within reason I might consider trying switching the carbs. Be more to original ya know.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
The first carb I ever rebuilt was the same but for a 65 Comet and it was a manual chock too. That I6 is a good engine but don't ever put a Cherry Bomb on her, it'll sound terrible! That little one barrel carb is very easy to rebuilt and tune so have fun with it. I was nervous doing it but had it all laid out and matched every gasket and what ever else is that thing and she worked great! Never leaked and as long as I kept a clean air filter on her it ran great.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first carb I ever rebuilt was the same but for a 65 Comet and it was a manual chock too. That I6 is a good engine but don't ever put a Cherry Bomb on her, it'll sound terrible! That little one barrel carb is very easy to rebuilt and tune so have fun with it. I was nervous doing it but had it all laid out and matched every gasket and what ever else is that thing and she worked great! Never leaked and as long as I kept a clean air filter on her it ran great.
After posting this thread some time back, I took the carb off and cleaned it good. Remember this car was sitting for 33 years in a basement garage...... I purchased a re build kit from Auto zone, for this "type", not actually the model number.

After cleaning it, 1/2 way apart, I replaced the bottom gaskets, and made sure it was thick enough that the gas wouldn't boil. Started it up, tuned it, and ever since, the "hesitation", has gone, and the engine runs like it was new. I discovered the extra power when I took the car for a ride after doing that... Took it over to a friends to double check, and after he tweaked the jet, idle, and mixture, she ran like even newer.

So, the auto choke is good. BUT: I have a manual choke knob that just sits there. So, a manual would be nice... I would just have to re-learn how to start it for the fist start when I take her out... LOL... I suppose, that woulden't be hard.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.