Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Bennett Racing is telling there Stage1 is gonna make well over 550+HP possibly 625+HP All on pump gas . This sounds incredible!

Before I plunk down several thousand dollars to a company far far away I'd like to here some feedback, GOOD and BAD.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man O man your not gonna believe this. I emailed Bennett the other night .........Just read these emails ::

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 4:47 PM
Subject: Question for TFS "R" heads

Hi ,

I'm building a 408 stroker street/strip motor. 63-6500 MAX RPM Shift points/ 7000REDLINE. I'm also running a Richmond 5 speed. I've gone with a C/R of 10.5 to 1 . For the engines heads I'm leaning towards the TFS"R" head with little or no porting. My goal is to get my 3100lbs/83 Mustang GT to go 130.00+mph. I'm being told that in order to accomplice this I'll need about 500 REAR WHEEL HP. If thats the case close to 600hp at the flywheel seems to be nessacary. I'm interested in maybe going with BENNETT's TFS"R" because of there flow numbers and BENNETT's racing experince. I think I was looking at the 225cc CNC'd versions. Can you tell specifics like who makes the valve's and spring's and a price with Titanium retainers added ????

Thanks Bro's!

-Gregg

Jon Bennett's REPLY ::
Gregg,

Our Stage 1 TW R will work great for you engine. If you go with a hydraulic roller cam your engine will make 575-595hp @ flywheel, and if you go solid roller it will make 625-640hp @ flywheel. Keep in mind for your car to run 130 mph in 1/4 mile it only takes around 540hp @ flywheel. If you make close to 600hp with the 5 speed you will run 9.90-10.20 @ 135-137 mph. Our Stage 1 consists of....

TFS R CASTINGS
STAGE 1 PORTING
CUSTOM VJ & SIZE GUIDES
FERREA VALVES
SEALS
COMP CAMS SPRING CUPS
COMP CAMS DUAL SPRINGS
COMP CAMS 10 DEGREE RETAINERS (ADD $100 FOR TITANIUM)
COMP CAMS 10 DEGREE LOCKS
ARP ROCKER STUDS & GUIDEPLATES
ASSEMBLED & FLOWTESTED

The above heads are $2395. If you have any further questions please feel free to call or email.

Jon Bennett

At this point I can't believe it and I ask Jon a couple of final questions::

Jon,

thanks for the quick response! I'll be going with a solid roller. After reading your response,I'm in awe....600+HP. Let me ask you a couple more things if I may.
First do you guys have a data sheet I can fill out to contain all my car's info so you can recommend a camshaft for my setup? Are you willing to stand behind your claim of 600+ HP if I were to purchase a HEAD,CAMSHAFT,INTAKE setup and have the engine dynoed after it were assembled here ? And lastly , In all honesty I'm building this engine so I can run it on pump gas with an occasional dose of racing fuel. 600 HP is a lot of HP, though the engine shortblock consist of a 74 windsor block, EAGLE stroker kit (its a forged crank, Hbeam 6.250 rods , and JE 17cc dished pistons)The compression is only 10.7 to 1; 600+ HP ? Thats totally incredible!!!!! Man O man if you answer yes to these questions your gonna make a cajun jump out a window! I'm leaning towards the Super Victor because of the added volume for the engines added cubic inches. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon !

Thanks and Best Regards,

-Gregg

Jon replies this morning with this ::

Gregg,

We will stand behind our claim of 600hp no problem. We just finished a 408 w/ standard Twisted Wedge heads that made 575hp and 530 ft/lb.

After getting this email back this morning I'm confident Jon's gonna hold up his end of the bargin. Jeez, I'm now selling everything meaningless posession I own. I'll keep you posted on how this works out!

-PONY1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PONY1 on 2/23/02 4:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Those heads are a bargain at that price. A friend just got a set of Brodix heads from Bennett. Its a single turbo setup and John wanted him to try these. I forget how much they were. He has seen my AFR 205's and wishes he had bought them instead.
I'd like to see a shoot out between the AFR 225's and the TFS R with similar porting.
How much power is the motor gonna make Chilly? Any guess?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 2/23/02 9:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
51 Posts
<font color="blue">Jon Bennett is good at his word. I've done some business with him in past. He knows his stuff and is upfront about everything he sells. Good Luck!</font>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hey Chilly, pick up this months issue a Car Craft. they do a compar. of the Ford,Chevy, and Dodge stroker kits. The 408 ford made 503 hp at a safe 5600rpm. Add a 1000rpm and you are in you 450hp window. Don't know what you are using for a cam but this 236-246 .574-.595 hydro really layed flat on the dyno at 5500rpms. I really don't think it was the CHP stage 3 ported vic jr heads. The other thing was that they used a vic jr intake instead of a super vic.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2002-02-23 07:39, 1FAST67 wrote:
<font color="blue">Jon Bennett is good at his word. I've done some business with him in past. He knows his stuff and is upfront about everything he sells. Good Luck!</font>
Thanks! Bennett's racing experience is my main reason for wanting to deal with them.
Jon's insurance has only strenghtened my wanting to purchase my heads from Bennett Racing now. They race what they sell, to me that's the "cherry on top" for anyone who buys from them.

-Gregg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2002-02-22 21:19, 85Mike wrote:
Those heads are a bargain at that price. A friend just got a set of Brodix heads from Bennett. Its a single turbo setup and John wanted him to try these. I forget how much they were. He has seen my AFR 205's and wishes he had bought them instead.
I'd like to see a shoot out between the AFR 225's and the TFS R with similar porting.
How much power is the motor gonna make Chilly? Any guess?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 2/23/02 9:21am ]</font>
For the $2600.00 I too thought it was a really good price. Jon's guarantee makes it look all the much sweeter for sure!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-02-23 22:54, chilly460 wrote:
Jimmy, I did see that article. Basically, I've given up on mag articles. Either Car Craft or MM&FF are full of crap. I'm referring to the "famous" AFR185 393w that MM&FF built, it supposedly made 537hp with smaller heads, cam, and cubes then the Car Craft 408w. We'll see in about two weeks I guess.
You are SO right! I've only started reading speed mags again now for a couple months. I didn't see the buildup you refer but I know what you mean about some mags and their articules.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, a buddy built a 408 for a customer this summer. Didn't ask the cam specs but with out of the box Vic jrs. it made 535hp.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2002-02-24 22:44, Jimmys66 wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, a buddy built a 408 for a customer this summer. Didn't ask the cam specs but with out of the box Vic jrs. it made 535hp.
Thanks ! I've heard great things about the Vic Jr's. Now I just have to hope that a good radiator and cooling setup is gonna work. I'm hoping to drive the car around if not run into any type of cooling problems. When I was younger the engine then wouldn;t take no more than 30min. of running without letting the car sit and cooldown. Hopefully those days are in the past. We'll see ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts