Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '64 & want to use it to tow my light weight aluminum boat & figure the Ranchero should have no issues do it?

Here's a pic of the boat.

It's pretty light, the trailer don't even have brakes on it.
The Ranchero has no hitch on it at the moment, & wonder what I should get for it?

Any of you got picture of your towing anything?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I don't think so. That boat looks too heavy to me. I have towed with my '64 convertible and it did ok with a very lightweight trailer and a couple of dirt bikes on it. How much is the weight of the boat and trailer combined? The problem is not towing, the problem is emergency stopping and handling in most cases.

However I once saw a guy towing with a mis 70's Bronco. He had a smaller U-Haul trailer behind it. During a straight as an arrow section of highway with no stops he got it whippin' side to side until he went flying off the road...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its actually a 16' & I bet boat & trailer weigh in between 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. ( the heaviest part would have to be the outboard motor on the back. )
The factory released these to the public with no brakes on them even, due to the lack of weight.

I'll try look up the weight.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Your biggest problem maybe traction getting back up the ramp. I've had problems with large pickups on wet ramps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had any issues with my centurion & I have NEVER EVER done it in 4WD, always as a stock 2WD.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
At 1500 lbs you'd probably be ok. As mentioned traction can be a problem at a boat launch. Make sure your brakes are good though!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope to learn by doing it & that's fine & hope not to learn the hard way that its not?
I know the boat is light & figure a Honda should be able to pull it.
So I'm looking forward to this.

But what hitch should I buy?
I don't want to spend more money on a hitch that will exceed what the Ranchero would ever be able to pull.

Any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts