Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here put a 302 in a ranger? I know it is a common swap, but I am wondering the best way to go about this swap. I want to put a Fuel Injected 302 HO into a 1986 4x4 Ford Ranger, it originally had the Fuel Injected 2.9L V6. Should I go with or without the knock sensor on the 5.0? If with, how would it wire into the rangers system. I know I need a mustang wiring harness, but it has to tie into the rangers at the firewall, preferably under the dash. Right? I also would like the Mass Air setup. Is that another problem I'll run into? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had therangerstation.com, but V8-ranger.com and rangerpowersports.com are really becoming helpful. The main problem I am having is that it is hard to find the right things for a 4x4 ranger, everybody is mainly doing thwe swap in 2WD setups.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
theres not much diff other than the front end and front cross member.You need a 5.0 double hump oil pan and pickup.You can use your stock motor mounts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa, I was about to buy 200$ mounts You dont thinkit will sit too low on the chassis and interupt with any 4x4 parts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, Thanks! So all I am going to need is the motor w/double hump pan, oil filter relocator kit, bigger radiator, the whole harness and computer from the donor vehicle, Tranny, and an adapter for the tranny to fit my transfer case. I am sure there will be more, but this will be the basics, right?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
if you run a C4/C5 try to find a early B2(83/84),that should have a C5 in it.You can use that tranny.If you dont want to,get it anyways,cause you need the rear shaft and adapter off if to make a C4 4X4,that way you can use the stock t-case.If you use a AOD you have to run a full size t-case.I dont know if there is a adapter for the AOD to a 1350

·
Registered
36 Posts
How are you doing.We are in the middle of the swap on a 94 ranger 2wd.We're using the James Duff mounts and going with a 1989 lincoln motor and switching to a carb and using a C-4 trans.The reason we put out the $ for the mounts was most of the guys who did it said the motor sits to low with the factory mounts and it makes the install alot easier, also some applications won't work.We'll let you know how it goes when we get that far.We're putting the motor back together and rebuilding the C4 right now. Mike Sr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, considering my financial situation right now, I think I am going to have to put the 2.9 back in after a head swap...... (Junkyard run!) I am however going to do it on a later date.... probably when I blow the 2.9... (Which will be as soon as I have the 302 and tranny ready to drop in) But for now I have 2 broken vehicles. (This sucks!!!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts