Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of installing a piece of Lexan for a front windsheild in my weekend warrior. This car is not a daily, but will be used for some weekend cruising, drag strip from time to time, and maybe occasionally driven 10 miles to work.

Is Lexan street legal as a windshield will it pass inspection (in Texas). Is it safe?
Will in scratch up easily.

How thick of a piece should I get for use as a windshield ( 1/8in, 1/4inch, etc)

Thanks,

Dale302

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dale302 on 1/27/02 6:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
that right up my alley,
I dont know about the laws in your state, but you do have to have a windsheild, of any kind here in Calif.

As far as lexan, go with 1/4" if you drive on the street (safty). 3/16" or 1/8" track only.

it is alot lighter than glass, but it scratches very very easy. you look at it wrong it scratches.

so for the track, YES, for the road, it will get scratched fast, make it easy to replace, 'cause you will be replacing.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Even in my full time drag car I prefer a glass windshield. The lexan scatches so easily and can be hard to see thru in bright sunlight even when new.
My brothers Falcon had lexan in it when he bought it and he is thinking harder about changed to glass.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
In all honesty, other than the coolness of the lexan, (and other aftermarket windows/windshields), have you weighed your side windows, and windshields?
In my latest gig, (79 mustang), I replaced the windshield because of a uh, er, uh, hood premature ejectulation, and uh, anyway, was thinking of putting in lexan at that time.
MY new windshield, (stock/tinted), couldn't have weighed 20 pounds, if that. I just replaced the drivers side window, and that didn't weigh 7 pounds.
For the cost/hassle/safety features, I'm going to stick with OEM glass.'
Maybe other rigs are heavier'n hell, heck, even when I replaced the windshield in my old brand x SS 396, that windshield didn't weigh ****....... I'm sure on a pure race only, get every conceiveable ounce of weight off that's humanly possible, the aftermarket stuff is cool, but not for me.......My .002

·
Registered
596 Posts
also you can't buff out the scratches in Lexan like you can Acrylic (Plexiglas).

·
Registered
62 Posts
The key to keeping a lexan windshield in good shape is are you ready for this Pledge lemon fresh or country, several years of circle track racing w/lexan shield taught me that you never touch lexan with anything other than a soft cloth and some pledge it fills the small scratches and stops static from gathering dust .Also w/wipers will be a serious no no.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I never thought of that. I work in the plastics industry, (plastic fabrication)makeing machine guards, display cases, basicly sheet plastics. Lexan is extremly tough, but soft, ='s scratches.

I'll have to try that...............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts