Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Weld up original upper control arm bolt holes after doing Shelby drop?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the reason why this is posted here is because they say the Montego is just the Mercury version of the Ford Torino. And second, if there are no special problems presented to the Montego with the 1" straight down drop, how many people weld up the original holes? Third, how thick is the metal in the shock tower where the holes in question are? My gut tells me to weld them up for structural purposes, and I only have a TIG/stick machine, and am a novice. I'm only considering the drop because I'm pulling the engine to paint it and the bay, and I know if I don't do the drop now, I never will.

Even if someone with greater knowledge than I says structural integrity isn't an issue, I'm not sure I like the idea of leaving the old holes, even with chrome carriage bolts or rubber grommets, because of rust and looks issues. Additional information, I've installed roller perches, and new bushings, and will have old style hydraulic shocks, and someday will probably get custom springs and rear leafs from Eaton Detroit to actually drop the car an inch, as I've read the Shelby drop doesn't really drop the front one inch. I am fine with this, as I want the car to be a daily driver/cruiser and ride safe and smooth, and my research into other posts on the topic says it does improve normal driving noticeably.

Opinions and technical data are greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Use the 68 specs and if you do want to weld up the old holes, I'd use a steel plate to both, cover the old ones and reinforce the new ones. Otherwise welding that much can softer/weaken the metal in that area.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Use the 68 specs and if you do want to weld up the old holes, I'd use a steel plate to both, cover the old ones and reinforce the new ones. Otherwise welding that much can softer/weaken the metal in that area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion, and it sounds like a good idea, I'll look into reinforcing the entire area with a plate. Sorry it took me so long to get back on here, the quarantine kind of shifted my focus.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not a problem. Most people just leave their subject hanging and people like to know because it does help others out from what you do.(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts