Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find out how many CFM my flowmaster 2 chamber 2.5 mufflers flow. I heard they dont flow well and was trying to figure out if there costing any power.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You're kidding, right? There's been many muffler tests of the top dozen or so selling mufflers. All of them, from the best to the worst, had less than 5 hp difference between them. Just pick the best sounding muffler for your car and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
He's not kidding. Dynomax super turbo 2.5 inch side in side out mufflers flow about 420 cfm each. Flowmasters do not flow that well, but the marketing is great! Intuitively, look at the inside of a flowmaster and it's not hard to envision that it does not flow that well. Go look at the inside of a dynomax super turbo and it's not that hard to envision that they flow well. They sound good too without being super loud. I'm sure there are other similiar mufflers out there, but as you may have guessed I chose dynomax after researching mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No im not kidding. yes I know the power loss is minimal but if these ones flow poorly I might like to give something else a try. I am looking for something that is loud but that is also pretty raspy and rough sounding. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I run 3" Borla XR-1 race mufflers on my truck. They are deep and kinda raspy. I was running 3" Spin Techs and they were a lot louder overall and very raspy. Actually had to take them off cuz the local cops were really hassling me about them. I ran the Flowmaster 40's and hated them. Sounded like a tin can rattling away. If you want loud and raspy, go for the Spin Tech Pro Street mufflers (or go all out and get the Pro Shootouts). If you want a muffler that is still loud and has a good bark to it and still flows great, get a Borla XR-1.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I never minded the flowmasters, but I might consider cut outs after reading this !!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm happy with the MaxFlow's I just put on the car. They are not obnoxiously loud, but do sound much much better than the cheap turbo mufflers I was running before. You can definately hear the lope of the motor much better now than before.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm goin with f100 on this one, nothing like the sound of spintechs on a v-8. I have a set of 2.5" ones now, but the 3" ones that f100 had to take off because of noise are goin on my car, at least till the cops bother me bout them. HAHA

·
Registered
270 Posts
Everyone has a favorite muffler... just like a can of soda. My Muffler flavor of choice is Hooker Max Flow. They're a straight through muffler, yet actually do a decent job at making things livable, and they have killer flow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt on 11/22/06 7:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
712 Posts
Go online to streetfire.net, google.com, youtube.com and type in the different mufflers you are considering. Type the names of the mufflers in and enter, there are people on there with different combinations and you can get an estimation of what each muffler sounds like. Doing this led me to get an X-pipe, headers, 2 1/2" mandrel exhaust, and some Spintech Prostreets. It is all in the sound preference, I like the rasp of an X-pipe with Spintechs, in my opinion they sound great on 5.0s and 5.8s, and they should sound great with my injected Cleveland. The loss of power is minimal 3-4 HP, but it all comes down to your sound preference and what you want your car to sound like. We could all sit here and debate which mufflers you need to put on, but you may not like the sound as much as others. Just check out the sites above, and get an estimation of what your car will sound like.
Chris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts