Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the flat rate time to install a fuel pump in a '00 mustang?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Cant resist...... As long as it takes.... ;)

Dont know the flat rate the book calls for tho, which sometimes is a crock of crap anyways....

·
Registered
734 Posts
most shops with in dealerships slap 2hrs onto anything 'parts' on an engine. like alternator, water pump, fuel pump and so on. it doesnt take that long.

this is from my experience working PT at a nissan/used dealer ship. they schist you, soooo ya

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Shouldn't be harder than dropping the tank and then removing the lock ring on the tank. So, disconnect the filler hose, disconnect the fuel lines, remove the tank straps, lower the tank, unplug the pump/sender, undo the lock ring, and repeat backwards basically. I think 2 hours to do all that, with mandated 15 minute breaks in there of course, is a reasonable guess. If you wanted to tackle this yourself, shouldn't be more than a Saturday afternoon project.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't some of the newer Fords have an access panel under the rear seat to facilitate fuel pump changes without have to drop the tank?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Don't some of the newer Fords have an access panel under the rear seat to facilitate fuel pump changes without have to drop the tank?

Hmmmm and bet they dont have a labor listing if THATS the case, a 20 minute job charged as 2.0 hours. Sounds like a money making business to me......
and thats what they want, is to make money.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me. But, they may do that for cars that really have their tanks buried. The Mustang's for the era is out in the open and I don't remember seeing a panel when I removed my seat and trunk carpet (though it is possible I overlooked it).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts