Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1966 7 Litre 2dr hardtop and want to go with something like that looks like the old Crager SS. The problem is I dont know if I can fit 15"s over my stock disc brakes. I know non 7 Litre 15" Galaxie wheel won't fit, but I really want the old school look of 15"s with raised white letters like BFG's. I know they make the BFG RWL Radial T/As in a 16 now but I still like 15"s for some reason. I searched the forum first but couldn't find anything that referenced the 7 Litre option. Any help would be great and if I am just an idiot and missed a thread about this please let me know the link and I wont waste anyones time.

I've really got to get an online pic acct so I can show my baby off, I'm making great progress on the engine and firewall forward. Gotta hurry and get the front clip back on so I can start the "Galaxie Boss 428" mods to my beloved car.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have aftermarket Magnum 500s on my 66 Galaxie. 15x7sw/225 70 tires on the front and 15x8s w/275 60 tires(15x10s 325 50 drag radials for the track) on the rear. It has discs up front but they are 70s era fullsize Ford, not original 66 units.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if they are roughly the same size discs as mine. The ones on my 66 are four piston calipers. Thanks for the response, I love those mags, there are only a few wheel styles that look right on these cars and mags are on the list.

BTW: Love your car!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just bought new (used) rims for my '66 Galaxie but haven't even tried them on the car yet. Car has stock brakes all the way around with factory suspension. I have 15 X 8 rims for all 4 wheels...any chance the 8 inch rims up front will cause me grief with clearances?? I have 255/60's for the back and 245/60's for the front.

Cheers
Darren

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately, you wont find any wheels that will fit over the huge 4 piston Kelsey Hayes disk brakes. The 7 Litre has special Kelsey Hayes wheels that allow the clearance over those large calipers. If you really want to use performance wheels, you might consider swapping the Kelsey Hayes disk setup with a 77-79 Tbird assembly. You can fit aftermarket wheels over it. The center hub is a bit larger on the Tbird wheels, so the KH wheels dont fit on it. The assembly is a direct bolt in, only mod is the castle nut that holds the tie rod doesnt tighten far enough to let the cotter pin through. You can read more about it in the article I wrote: Galaxie Brake Conversion

Tom

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna revive this post. I haven't really looked at wheels much cause I've been too busy on everything else but now I'm actively looking. Will 16" wheels fit over the 7 litre brakes? Short of trying on wheels like shoes I'm looking for someone that has a 7 litre and knows what'll fit. Most tire and wheel sites don't seem to have the 7 litre option taken into account. Sizes and offsets would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm also trying to figure out what wheels will fit over the huge KH calipers. I would like 15 inch American Racing Torque Thrusters. I'm not even sure it if can be done with a spacer and deeper backspacing. What ever you choose please post it back here.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm also trying to figure out what wheels will fit over the huge KH calipers. I would like 15 inch American Racing Torque Thrusters. I'm not even sure it if can be done with a spacer and deeper backspacing. What ever you choose please post it back here.
I'm looking at that same wheel, but I think we're going to have to use a 16". I'll just get my friend that manages a Discount Tire, to take measurements and see what will fit perfectly with the 16" sizes BFG makes in its raised white letter Radial T/A. I've got to have raised white letters showing on a car like this, it just seems right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
...BFG makes in its raised white letter Radial T/A. I've got to have raised white letters showing on a car like this, it just seems right.
Yep. I agree. That's the same tire I'm looking at also. But was hoping 15" would fit . Looking forward to what you find.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sardog, if you decide to change the calipers, I'll be happy to take the KHs off your hands. I'm doing a resto-mod on my 67 and I plan on using 17" or 18" wheels, so I'm sure they'd fit.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sardog, if you decide to change the calipers, I'll be happy to take the KHs off your hands. I'm doing a resto-mod on my 67 and I plan on using 17" or 18" wheels, so I'm sure they'd fit.
I'm pretty sure I've got an extra set in my pile-o-parts. I think shipping to NC from Houston might kill the deal though. If you're interested and not in a hurry I'll dig them out. I won't be actively selling parts till I get my shoulder healed up from this last surgery, I just made Jim wait two extra weeks for a hubcap because I injured it. When I pick up my truck from that property, I'll grab them plus all the 66 Galaxie parts, for a massive listing to pay for my headers and exhaust :)

·
Registered
218 Posts

I use a 4.5" to 4.5" bolt on wheel adapter to fit 15" aftermarket wheels on my 67 with KH disk brakes. Lots of clearance calipers to the wheels but close on the wheel wells but they are 245/50/15 BFGs up front so........

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got an extra set in my pile-o-parts. I think shipping to NC from Houston might kill the deal though. If you're interested and not in a hurry I'll dig them out. I won't be actively selling parts till I get my shoulder healed up from this last surgery, I just made Jim wait two extra weeks for a hubcap because I injured it. When I pick up my truck from that property, I'll grab them plus all the 66 Galaxie parts, for a massive listing to pay for my headers and exhaust :)
Absolutely. Send me a pm and let me know what you want for them. I did a Scarebird swap to change out my drums but I haven't been impressed with it, so I'd love the 4-piston brakes. If you wouldn't mind checking, I'd be interested to know if you have any of the other associated parts lying around, as well (spindles, rotors, hoses, etc). Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only wheels that will work on those disc brake calipers are the special ones that came with the car that have no holes in them.

I've got hundreds of thousands of miles with 427 7-Liter Galaxies and tried everything on earth. You want performance, change the calipers.

I don't drive 7-Liters any more, and have a couple of those special front wheels, I think, if you want them, don't care about the money, but I'd recommend getting rid of them.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Kalepsis I have the Scarebird bracket and will soon be looking for the calipers, MC, hoses, pads, valve, etc. to go with it.

Sardog I have a pair of 17" Chrome SS Cragars with 3.5" BS. Love the deep dish look the backspace gives it but when my 65 hits a bump the tire sometimes bumps up on the inner fender. Kind of bugs me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use a 4.5" to 4.5" bolt on wheel adapter to fit 15" aftermarket wheels on my 67 with KH disk brakes. Lots of clearance calipers to the wheels but close on the wheel wells but they are 245/50/15 BFGs up front so........
677litre - how thick is the adapter... 1/2, 3/4, 1"? Which aftermarket wheel do you have and how much back space on them? And any rubbing on the wheel well? thanks

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me try another direction on my question. I know I can get away with a 17" American Racing Torque. Aside from not wanting the same wheel as every other car at the show, I'm still stuck on the white letters. Has anyone found a RWL style in a 17"? And for those advising against the K&H brakes, I'm not getting out of that for under $1000 just for the front huh? I think I'm going to go ahead and bring some of my parts home from my uncles old shop and list a few of the higher end stuff and start over with the brakes. I'm not too fond of the DOT 5 in it fluid anyways. Thanks for you're help and if anyone has the perfect option and just hasn't had the time to share, I'm still listening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any way to contact you other than this forum about front disk brake conversion? I just bought everything to rebuild my KH. I was wondering if you have a set of KH front rims. If not what is my KH complete set up worth if I was to go with your conversion that I read about

1 - 19 of 19 Posts