Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here from NM? Wife and I are looking around for retirement places, Iowa is too damn cold!! We are looking at a town, Raton, NM. I have 20 years to go but am looking at buying a small piece of land now and building on it when the time gets closer. Have one son in Co. but I don't want to live in Co., afraid too many people by the time I'm ready to live there. She wants to be able to live either in or very close to the mountains, something similar to Fort Collins, without 100,000 people.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I used to live in Farmington, New Mexico. I was born in Shiprock, New Mexico. I think it is a nice place to live, kinda small for me, but it is close to Colorado.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Farmington had one of the top rated golf courses a few years ago, the wife wants to live in mountains, I want to get away from the damn cold here. I don't mind a little snow, just don't want the weeks of zero or below weather. I am looking at New Mexico because of it's low per capita income, should be able to live there on a retiree's income quite comfortably, I would think. I was looking at northern part of state because that would put me within easy driving distance to Fort Collins where I have a few relatives.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Unfortunately the low income doesn't mean cheaper cost of living. This is a crappy state with beautiful weather and I would have never moved out here if the line of work i'm in didn't pay out here but the cost of living is high. I live in albuquerque and I think this is the best weather anywhere. Dry, warm(even in the winter it usually is in the 40s-50s during the day and in the summer very rarely gets over 99*(hasn't happened in 3 years now) while the low 5-15% humidity is great in the summer. Hardly ever rains or snows here in Albuquerque but around us it snows a lot. Up north in SantaFe and to the CO border, it is much colder and much more rain and snow. Very cold during the winter but the summer is cooler too. A totally screwed up state government and very little money in the state make crime VERY high through out the state. I love the weather and scenery but there is nothing else here worth staying for and not much to do but watch sand blow, hunt coyotes, hunt jack rabbits, go off roading, watch road runners, watch lizards, go hiking, or go to bars. Very little recreation here and the state is very desciminitive towards whites and indians(yes indians). The companies are forced to hire illiterate Mexicans and Spanish over the actual qualified for the job whites/Indians/Blacks and that is why businesses will not come here. Not many blacks here but what few there is are also discriminated against. Many gangs here too in NM all over. 1 in every 12 cars/trucks is stolen, 1 in 8 houses are robbed, many top ten bad things in the nation are here. Almost impossible to find a good neighborhood to live in because the government gives the welfare PUKES money to live in nice neighborhoods and in nice area so they can spread thier worthless gang bangin/stealing/disrespectful punk asses into new territories. Democratic state and it shows.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I'll let him know. I think he's sending the money order to you Monday second day air I or something like that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
89, ALL govt. is f**^&d up so don't feel lonely there. If we look around we can all find problems in our respective states. My home town is 5000 people, 12 bars and not much else, so I can get your drift. Our main street is dead, like everyone else's. I'm just looking around for a warmer climate that isn't going to break me to live there. I'm not stuck on New Mexico it just seemed like a good fit for me. I have no desire to live in a big city, I've been to Fl, and drove through Ok and Tx last year. Co. is nice but I'm thinking of when I'm in my 60's (hopefully I'll make it!!) and Co. will be packed with people by then. Wife wants the mountains so that is a big factor. I could rant and rave about how my backwards state thinks people can still raise a family on an 80 acre farm and tries to pass regulations and laws reflecting it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hey coupe, I'm Navajo and I know what you mean. The majority of the population in Albuquerque seems to be Hispanic. I stayed in Albuquerque for the summer with my uncle a few years ago and it sucked! I was bored all the time, the most fun I had was going to Sandia mountain and the tramway.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
What you are looking for you might want to check out the Dalles, Oregon. It is about an hour east of Portland. The Gorge has some beautiful secenary and the town is about 15k. My family has two ranches outside of there. Lots of places to go four wheeling, hot summers and not too bad winters. However the wind is bad. I personally do not mind the wind, it is better than rain any day. They get about 15" a year here. And a 18 hole golf course will be up in about 2 years. Also, the Washington border is only 5 minutes away. Mount Hood is about a hour away or so. I like it myself and sounds like something you are looking for. I am just trying to help. Good Luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68 stang on 1/28/02 12:21pm ]</font>

·
Registered
238 Posts
Take a look at Tucson. Small for a city, beautiful weather year round, you can ski on Mt. Lemon in the Winter (America's southern most skiing area) and Cruising is not illegal. It is about 1hr and 30 mins drive from Phoenix. All the rust free cars you can shake a stick at and a bit more metropolitan than New Mexico.

As for the illegal alien situation... sadly that is becoming a norm even in Wisconsin (my original home state) and Arizona has it as bad as New Mexico, Texas and California.

One of my main gripes is that they are turning the desert into a wetland with all of the Golf courses they build every year out here. Tempe is starting to see the signs of what a mosquito infestation really is, as a result of turning the Salt River into a year round lake.

On second thought PLEASE MOVE HERE!!! We need all the English speaking Americans we can get!!!!!

1964 Galaxie 500 stock 289 3spd auto, Black Suede with Red Flames
1964 Falcon 4 door, dead 200 Cid 6, Blue and White Grandma Car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 1/28/02 10:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
672 Posts
On 2002-01-28 10:54, desertdroog wrote:
On second thought PLEASE MOVE HERE!!! We need all the English speaking Americans we can get!!!!!
LMAO That is so true. Sorry if this offends anyone, but sadly, the illegal-alien population is getting out of hand here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I live an Albuquerque. It is a great town, but probably not for retirement. Have you ever heard of Ruidoso, NM? we have a cabin out there. Lots of forest and mountains with a good sized town and loads of fresh mountain air. Also they have several car show tours each year come throughout the summer. Ski area nearby too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I lived in Alamagordo N.M. for a bit. I never could get use to such a small town. It may have grown some since '87 but at that time you had to drive 2hrs just to do some descent shopping.
If you don't mind brown scenery and dust its not too bad.(at least for that area)
But you can always go to the mountains to see green and cool off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts